• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non Tii front spindle diameter question.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I posted a question regarding slightly dragging front wheels. While batting the issue around it occurred to me that worn spindles may be part of the problem. While I thought I had a printed reference to the acceptable diameter of the front spindle, I can not seem to locate it.

Because, I would not expect everyone to read the exceptionally long post below, I just thought I'd ask a simple question anew.

If you have it, could someone please post the acceptable thickness/diameter of the front non-tii spindle. This is the portion of the spindle over which the bearings and hub "roll".

Thanks in advance.

P.S. As much as I would like to fix my minor problem, I hope worn spindles is a red herring.

although i don't have the diameter of the spindle on hand, i do have a couple photos of what wear on the bearing journal looks like. these were taken from a set of tii spindles that the seller graciously accepted back with full refund. a member of this board, btw.

i can not draw arrows, but you should notice a uniform wear spot the length of the bearing roller.

post-260-13667576054972_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667576056669_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the picture. The subject spindes are not in front of me and as best I can recall when measuring them for roundness, they were not galled nor were they "blued" and there was no "readily" apparent wear indicators such as grooving. But . . . I suppose that doesnt mean they arent's worn or that they were machined too small from the beginning. This may be a wild goose chase.

FIRST THING:

a spindle should NOT show any signs of any galling, or

grooving from a inner bearing race spinning on the spindle.

If any wear marks appear - you run the risk of spindle breakage - failure, loss of wheel,

death! - - SCRAP THE SPINDLE

HERE ARE THE 2002 AND Tii WHEEL BEARING SPECS:

Tii FRONT TAPERED ROLLER BEARING

inner - 31.7 x 59.13 x 15.8 ............ BMW # 31.21.2.6.634.106

outer - 19 x 45.23 x 15.49 ..................... # 31.21.2.634.103

2002 FRONT TAPERED ROLLER BEARING

inner - 29 x 50.29 x 14.22 .............. BMW # 31.21.1.101.115

outer - 17 x 39.87 x 13.84 ....................... # 31.21.2.634.104

K800027798SKF.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

AS always, your information is very much appreciated. I am not a metallurgist, but recall the subject spindles look as good as new once the grease is wiped off.

Your bearing dimensions are helpful, but they do not give an exact measurement for the spindle and the possibility, however remote, that a spindle was manufactured undersized. Just how loose should a bearing fit over a spindle? Adjectives like snug or tight are somewhat helpful, but how about a number I might find on a feeler gauge. I thought somewhere I had been given acceptable tolerances, but maybe that was when I found ethyl in my tank.

If you have specs, great. If not thanks anyway.