• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what's the deal with a 1975 car?

carrosene

Are these not worth getting or are they good cars and you just have to take off all the additional crap they put on for that year? I know some people on here have them and like them but I am new to all of this so I don't know much yet.

Eric

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

They are fine cars. Biggest disadvantages of 1975:

• In many smog states, 1975 is often the cutoff year for requiring visuals or testing.

• 75 and 76 had the big ugly bumpers which added 100lb and 9”. You can swap with early bumpers with a little welding work.

• 75 had the thermal reactor…not an issue if you are not in a smog state

Something to look for. 75 and 76 are susceptible to rusting of the driver side firewall and floor boards. I am pretty sure it has something to do with brake fluid seepage or spillage from the brake or clutch systems. I am wrapping up a resto of those areas in my 76 and plan to routinely check for leakage.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

So can nothing be done about the thermal reactor? I just assumed you could swap out some 76 parts to make a 75 like a 76. Like I said before I am new to all of this so I am sorry if I am asking dumb questions.

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 75 car in general, if the smog equipment has been removed.

i just recently sold my beloved 75 02 to my nephew, to thin the herd and it was a very nice car. almost zero rust and never left me stranded. the squaretails 'feel' more solid than the roundies as well.

now i need to get one of my projects running so i can once again drive an 02...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Yes the thermal reactor can be replaced with a standard cast iron exhaust manifold from any 02 or better yet a Tii one which will flow a little better. As stated above when checking for rust pay attention to the 4 large holes/plugs in the floor pan sometime in the 75 model BMW switched to a inferior sealant for the plugs.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

The thermal reactors generated a lot of heat & could lead to a cracked head is what I have heard. So, if the head is not damaged & the thermal reactor is gone, it should be OK. One of the 1st things mine got once I bought it was a tii exhaust manifold. Adds a handful of HP and makes a beautiful sound too. Not sure if the rusty driver's side floor is just a 76 problem or if 75's are afflicted also. Too much bias vs. the 75's IMO.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

If you replace with a Tii manifold are there other modificationd that you 'll need to make?

Except for the emmissions connections, the 2 manifolds are essentially swappable. The tii manifold uses a different heat shield though, so if you still use the original aluminum o2 heat shield, you will need to get a tii shield or get a later bmw manifold gasket with integral heat shield or you can probably grind and spacer your 02 shield to fit as well.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

The bumpers require reinforcement, so there is added weight on both ends to hold the heavier bumpers. The US bumper standards required no damage with a very slow impact & minimal damage with a slow impact.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

On squaries other than the bumpers the doors have a anti intrusion beam that is supposed to shift the load of a side impact to the door frames which is a good thing, and area around the rear wheel arches and trunk framing has been reinforced both of these things add a lot of stiffness to the car and not a lot of weight less than 30# i think. The bumpers add about a 100# all toll.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.