• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!! heater trim plate removal, 3-piece dash

jerry

folks, i'm trying to remove my heater box for rehab and i'm not sure if the aluminum trim cover plates on the dash pop off as do the later cars or whether they're secured by small nuts behind the dash.

before i permanently make an impression in my dash trying to pry them out i thought i should ask.

i'm only trying to remove the heater box, so if this can be done without removing the trim pieces that's fine too. i'm just anticipating that the levers are secured with two screws behind the trim plates.

assistance please. oh yea, the car's an early 71 w/ 3-piece dash.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

My 72 had the two nuts holding the frame for the heater levers. The small black plastic knobs pull straight off. If there is nothing holding them the mechanism will push straight back. I think I'd try an inspection mirror or just stick you head up under there. You are removing the console aren't you?

well, i used the inspection mirror and flashlight and lay on my back and saw the two small nuts holding the trim plates snugly to the dash. there's no way i can get to them so i figured i might as well remove the dash (it's VERY cracked and needs replacement). i just wasn't planning for that, yet.

so, an hour later i'm struggling with trying to remove the bottom part of the dash without removing the top piece. the instrument console and cover are out by this time. no dice.

so now the front windshield is out (wasn't planning on this task yet either). it was glued in place so i'm cutting, scraping and doing anything i can to remove the residual sealant. on a bright note, at least the window channel is relatively rust-free. thank god for small favors.

all this just to remove those damn trim plates...

& 1 special alfa

as much as i hate to admit it, i was a hack today. i could not get the m-fing bottom dash out cleanly. i missed one turn-screw that's about in the middle of the dash, plus i struggled with those damn trim plates.

i don't recall having this much trouble removing a 3-piece dash from a car in the junkyard a year or so ago.

at least this particular dash was trash to begin with, but i was hoping to rehab it. oh well, i've got its replacement anyway.

anyhow, i'm VERY pleased with the lack of rust underneath the windshield and inner channel. this car is well worth saving. i sandblasted and will spot prime to hold me over till i can spot paint this area and be done with it.

maybe, just maybe i can get this one running in time for Palo Alto, too

and btw, those piss-ant little screws that hold the trim pieces will NOT be used for reassembly. i'll use bubble-gum to hold them in place if i have to...

& 1 special alfa

instead of removing the heater control panels to remove the heater on earlier cars with non-illuminated 3 lever heater controls, it's much easier to simply disconnect the cables from the control levers, and leave those *&%$#@@ little nuts in place...did that on my '69 and it worked just fine.

Be sure and remember (and mark) which cable goes where for reassembly.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite