• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cleaning brake dust ?

meyekel

What method have all you used to effectively clean brake dust off of wheels? I tired some of that Eagle 1 wheel cleaner at Pep Boys but that didn't do much besides waste 6 bucks. Brake cleaner but I don't know about hurting the finish? Let's hear your techniques!

Thanks,

Mike

excellent question...I too, have spent too much on wheel "cleaners" but haven't found the answer yet. Although I now have some new Meguiars wheel cleaner I will try, and report. I HATE brake dust. I eagerly await other's solutions.

Gee, I wonder what the WienerWagon uses??

P3300258a.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Use a brake pad with little on no dust to start. PBR Metalmasters are a good pad on my car, good braking, no dust only squeak when stone cold.

I use Wheel Wax too to make for easy cleaning.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I use any decent spray on/rinse-off cleaner that says "safe for all wheels". (There are some that are metal specific). Spray the wheel all around liberally. Let it sit for a minute. Then spray some more on there and with the brush I bought at Kragen for this very purpose, I go around the wheel and scrub and get into the nooks and crannys. The stuff will spatter a bit, so you may want long sleeves and/or gloves if you're allergen sensitive (watch your eyes too). Spray some more on there after scrubbing, then rinse off with water.

-Ben

I find the best wheel cleaner is to not let them get all that dirty to start with. I've run PBR (formallu Repco) brake pads on my tii for over 30 years. I've always used the "Deluxe", not the metal-master. The Deluxe is easier on your rotors, but the metalmaster is a more aggresive pad for A-X and hard driving. My wheels stay very clean on all my cars that have these pads including my Tundra. Then when cleaning is necessary when I wash the cars, I use any of the spray on, rinse off wheel safe cleaners. Right now I'm trying the Turtle wax brand and it works great and is cheap. I know P21 brand is also excellent. The stuff made by Eagle One is the only product they make which I didn't like. It is a combination wheel/tire cleaner that does a great job cleaning wheels, but always leaves the tires streaked.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Simple Green and soft brush - hose off.

..., and don't let any brake dust set for long on any wheel - especially

after wet - and wheel is heated - stay on top of it.

Waxed - well painted GLOSSY rims stay clean better.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I really like Griot's Wheel Cleaner, which does a good job on my 20 year-old Chamonix-painted Ronal V-2s (basketweave-type). Like most stuff from Griot's the shipping makes stuff a little pricey. I use it with an old toothbrush to get into all the spaces.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

A lot depends upon the composition and finish of your wheels in addition to the materials used in the brake pads.

I used to use a red liquid that you sprayed on. I believe the most active ingredient was phosphoric acid. It was best on wire wheels that were extremely well plated. Otherwise, you would see rust of other forms of corrosion appear on the exposed areas.

If you have clear coated wheels, use the safest stuff imaginable and suffer with elbow grease. Polished aluminium (as opposed to painted)can be hit with the Blue naval jelly - which is designed to remove aluminum corrosion. But you better have some metal polish ready. ALso heard metal polish referred to as "Mag Polish".

Personally, I would think it grand if someone could coat the wheels with teflon, much the same as with frying pans. A nonstick surface would sure make your question worthless.

Okay Gentlemen,

The solution is a cooking spray called, you guessed it "Pam." It is the non-stick stuff you'd use in the kitchen prior to frying some pancakes in a regular skillet. Once you clean your wheels thoroughly, let them dry and then spray a light to medium coat on the wheels. The stuff will disappear, but the solution will remain. Then just rinse off the brake with a hose. It works quite well and is really friendly to your wheels factory coating.

The Road of Life Should Be Driven in a BMW2002!! Happy Trails!