• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gas tank question regarding the 2nd outlet?

jerry

anyone able to shed light on how the 2nd outlet on the gas tank (the one with the brazed on fitting, not the one on the fuel sender) gets plumbed?

this pertains to a late 71 model year. my other cars are no help as they've been capped with a bolt at the end of the rubber line. i've seen a gas tank completely dished from the vacuum that's created when the fuel pump pulls its fuel supply.

there is a hole nearby the tailight that i'm wondering if i merely feed the fuel line through it to vent, it's about the size of a quarter and i don't know any other reason for it being there.

the plastic vent tank hanging above the wheel arch appears to be set up with the vent off the filler neck.

post-260-13667576366308_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The second tank fitting (to the left of the sender in your photo) receives the fuel return line from the engine bay…it is not a vent. The tank vent is in the filler tube.

Typically, when the stock fuel system is modified and converted to Weber, the return line is disconnected and the tank fitting is plugged as you describe. Unless you have a carburetor or injection system that needs to return the fuel, that second tank fitting has no purpose. I would not try to convert it to a vent, because I would be concerned about sloshing fuel being purged, especially if the filler tube vent is plugged.

Incidentally, the intact return line is routed under the car via a combination of steel fuel line and rubber hose.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

Has anybody used the return line as a feed? I don't like my fuel inside the car in a plastic tube; I know it works but personal preference.....

Can't think of any reason that you could not do it. After 30+ years, the steel portions of my return line were rather rusty, so I ripped it out. It was still holding fuel without leaking though.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002