• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey tjones02, can you post or email me a pic of the back

73_02

of a 1967 1600, to see what suppose to be there. My car is missing everything that goes there, I see what I think are to many holes. I just want to identify all the holes. Some are small like 1 mm a few are bigger like 5mm.

I been researching this since you brought it up.

thanks

rey

back to the 02s

http://my1972bmw.blogspot.com/

1600 1561547 project

http://1600bmw.blogspot.com/

vintage_bmw@yahoogroups.com

Ask and ye shall receive.

Post 9/67 1600's can be found with the license plate lights on the panel but early ones have them on the bumper.

There's not much that goes back there. It's what you see here. The only exceptions yours might have over mine is the lic plate lights, maybe a short lic plate holder and the Roundel and script may sit lower. Again, depending on your build date but that's it. No reflectors or anything else. If your build date is pre 9/67 it should look exactly like mine.

post-252-13667576394543_thumb.jpg

Hey Mars

Now some of the holes in my car make sense, I can tell that some are for the 1600, script, roundel and the trim. Ok here is a pic is night but it shows everything I see.

The are four holes grouped together in both sides, there is a factory raise on the sheetmetal where the holes are at.

See I had to uncover all the holes because someone decided to put jb weld on all of them including for the window trim and all over.

thanks

rey

post-2645-1366757640433_thumb.jpg

back to the 02s

http://my1972bmw.blogspot.com/

1600 1561547 project

http://1600bmw.blogspot.com/

vintage_bmw@yahoogroups.com

02Les - the car is original. the plate is not. What's wrong with my vintage plate? I just like it and think it offsets my color well. It's just a vanity euro plate, that's all.

Rey,

I'm not sure I can make out which holes you mean. The raised area (if I'm reading your post correctly) is where the license plate area goes which is normal. Whether you have the proper long euro plate holder or not there are still a few holes there to accomodate both setups. Notice in my pic 4 holes (2 go to the body, but the other 2 are actually only on the plate holder) can be seen on the lic plate holder. If you still need more help and/or if this doesn't answer your question I can look at the car over at my storage tomorrow to see how many holes exactly exist. If you can post a better pic or circle the holes you mean that would help.

02Les - the car is original. the plate is not. What's wrong with my vintage plate?? I just like it and think it offsets my color well. It's just a vanity euro plate, that's all.

Nothing wrong and I didn't mean to imply anything. I just recognised it as a UK plate from 1964. It is probably worth a good few £££s in the UK.

Waaaay, back in the '60s I had an oportunity to buy a Triumph Spitfire with the plate LES 444. The Seller wanted £125, and, as I was at college at the time I had little money. The plate now would be worth a fortune!! Story of my life.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Les,

Oh, sorry if it seemed like I was snapping. No offense was taken.

Pretty cool. Having a real plate with your name or initials would have been awesome.

Good eye you've got, though. But, the plate on my car is an early 60's UK style REPLICA plate. I have both front and rear. Those are actually my initials (MAF) and 67B is for 67 Bimmer. I made it so it looks legit but it actually means something to those who know (me).

I wish I didn't have to show my real plate in the window... :( but I should be glad at least that PA lets me do that. Not sure how other states are....

Hmm. That doesn't look right at all. I will look at my car tomorrow and confirm. Looks like you have too many holes - more than you need/should have.

I wager someone drilled them out but for what I don't know. Will get you pics/answers tomorrow.

Was able to find one more pic tonight before checking my car tomorrow. I don't see any evidence here of any more holes that should be there.

The black plastic nut is holding the upper trim piece that connects the round tail lights to each other (above plate). The other square nut you see there is the nut that holds the euro lic plate holder to the body. The other holes on the lic plate holder you saw before are just for the plate to mount on to the lic plate holder itself as they don't go into the body. Only the 2 for the holder go to the body and then there are 2 for the plate itself to go on the holder.

As you can see, there are no other holes. The other side is the same. Most likely someone drilled holes there to adapt later style lic plate lights at one point. I will triple check tomorrow on my actual car but I think this pic tells us what we need since it shows the raised area from behind.

post-252-13667576408501_thumb.jpg

(nt)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Thanks guys. Glad to be of help. My car is a great 'reference' vehicle as everything is intact & unmodified - seriously.

It is sort of a time capsule. It has been stored for roughly 35 of its 40 years! It's only got 48k documented miles. I had to make sure all of its systems were gone over when I first got it but she runs like a champ and everything feels smooth and tight - like you'd expect from a 40k car. I don't have many good pics of her yet but I plan on cleaning her up and taking lots of pics this Spring. I really haven't done a whole lot since I got her. She sits most of the time.

I attached one more pic. The original trim rings (these cars had 2pc hubcaps - dog bowls and trim rings) are in the trunk and not shown in this pic. A bit dirty but its all good!

Color is actually Tampico.

mars-67-1600.jpg

It is sort of a time capsule. It has been stored for roughly 35 of its 40 years!

mars-67-1600.jpg

wow, that is a beautiful car. they don't come any better than that. that is the look i can only aspire to in my 68 1600 TI clone wannabe. i find the survivors always more interesting to look at.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa