• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a convertible 2002

Ok Here goes. Sort of a mini mid life crises. Really I just needed something fun to do.

The Goal: Make a good looking 4 seater topless car for summertime day trips. I figured I would practice on this beater 76 2002 and if I can get it right, find a better body, smog exempt, and do it agian.

So I picked this up for $700. Can't register it because it wont smog. someone put on a nice set of headers and took off the smog equipment.

I welded a frame along the sides of the floor pan and some other supports. See the photos so far here

http://picasaweb.google.com/truenorthco/MidLifeCrisis

Posted a request for advice earlier regarding too much flex in the body. I'm still stumped as to where to beef it up more. Any one out there thats done this before please give me some feedback.

If I don't get any other ideas I'm going to try doubling up the front to back members - that is adding another 1x2 box tube under the doors (I'll need to completely remove the outside seat support this time)

The more metal I add the uglier it gets. Ok out come the seats again...

Paul

Just some thought. Round tubing will have more strength than square. So the front to back tubes along the rockers should be round. You should have a one piece tune across the body right under the front bottom of the rear seat, an "X" brace of tube behind the rear seat at the bulkhead, a tube brace straight across the front of the car under the dash, I like your large gussets. Remember by chopping off the top the tornsion rigidity of the structure has been weakened side to side as well as fron to back.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Thanks for that. The side to side member under the dash, I will try to make something I can bolt in there to reduce the risk of melting wiring with the welder. And the x brace in the back, tack it to the sheet metal behind the back seat? attachment points are a challenge in general with this project.

I better pull the gas tank. PW

good idea with bolting under the dash. Across the the rear bulkhead tacking the "X" to flat sheet metal will help but the major thing is to increase the rigidity of the structure tying it into the wheel arches at the top or middle and the frame/inner rocker extensions at the bottom.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

• 9 months later...

I don't know what type of driving you are planning; say like auto crossing or hauling a bunch of your friends, but I have done this customization twice. Both times on a 1976 as the tub is much stronger than the earlier models. Notice the rockers and center tunnel are all stiffer than the original uni bodies used to make the actual convertibles.

The car in the image has NO reinforcements and drives just fine. Why I have even jacked the ends up and have remained the ability to open the doors.

This car too has stiffer and lower springs with 15" wheels that have little side wall. Car rides like a GO-Cart.

I keep reading about other folks who have been somehow programmed by an open forum discussion. I suppose few have actually done the conversion

Themselves and are merely relying on opinion.

I can tell you that with a 76 model and the fact that you have already put some metal in this car, your fine for street and spirited driving.

If you think you are going to run it in an autocross or car club event put a roll bar in. I did this on the first car I did and the stiffness was such that with a front strut brace I cracked the radiator support metal around where the nose panel attaches to the fender.

Don't get too caught up in all this opinion management. Your fine, I telling you.

Where in CA are you located? I'm in the Bay area and if you want to see my car; well more than happy to.

Go for it!

BTW if anyone wants to buy this car make me an offer I keep trying to sell it but either I get an eBay flake or someone else who is half serious.

For FAQ'ers let's talk. Passes Smog with flying colors. Details if interested.

Conkitchen@aol.com

post-2154-13667586496944_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

fist of all you're convertible is beautiful great job.my name is ivan i live in the middle of nowhere fontana calif and i just so happened that a friend gave me a 1969 bmw 1600 i whas hesitant to get in it i thought it will be so discomforting being that i am a big guy the car sat for 3 month's before i got in it and then it happened i feel in love with it drove it for a year and i had to sell it.i so regrated that move but i need it the money ever since then ibed always whanted another 2002 with the luck i have. i found 2 same owner 71 and a 72 i am installing a 1987 rx7 fuel injected motor in it and the other one i would like it to be a convertible can you please give me advise on what need's to happened to make it happened or maybe how mutch would you charge me to do this job???you can reach me at 909 357-2311 from 10am till 2pm thank you mutch..ask for ivan thank you..

Great project Wolterbeek

The Targa and full cabbies had reinforcements into the rockers. Different ones depending if the car as a full cabby or Targa. extra boxing within the rockers will strengthen the whle car.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.