• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth the trouble to remove factory sound deadening

So I got all my old carpeting out and I have a block of dry ice but I am second guessing wether or not taking out the old tar is worth the trouble. If I were to take it out I would put some new modern stuff in. Is the weight savings worth it? I am not too concerned with how loud the car is, and I only drive it once or twice a month so the joy of driving the thing overpowers any quirks or complaints I may have.

Thanks for any advice

speed costs money how fast do you want to go

I would have to say, leave it in and cover with modern stuff.

Bottom line, what ever you do the area is gonna be covered so who is gonna KNOW or Care?

just my thoughts

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

if you already have the dry ice and the carpet is out. i'd remove it. you never know what's lurking underneath. replace it with roofing patch available in an 8in wide roll at home depot. it's the cheap alternative to pricey Fatmat and the like.

having dry ice and a blanket to hold the cold in makes short work of removing the tar.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

if you are the least bit concerned about rust, remove that tar crap. even if you are drivin' a CA car, rust can form in those dang drain holes. and jerry is right, the job isn't that bad with the dry ice...and it's actually kind of fun, in that sick 02 insanity way.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

if there is rust under there as mentioned in the above post.

I see no real advantage to the new stuff over the old stuff.

If you are confident there is no rust there, chill something with the dry ice and move on.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

chill something with the dry ice and move on.

Yes!

Drop a small chunk in a plastic bottle with a touch of water in it. Cap it off and toss it in your neighbors back yard.

Giggles.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I think you should remove it, while sound deadening hasn't improved all that much since your car was built, the ability to reseal the floor plugs and form a waterproof coating on the floor boards is worlds beyond what was used in the 70's, do it once right and you'll sleep better.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.