• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Media blasting

Ian

gravity feed setups are less efficient and unless you have an enclosed chamber you'll go through a lot of grit. use a pressure pot. just remember, dry air is the key. once moisture gets in the line the flow of media is hindered.

don't bother with those small gravity-feed pistol blasters either. i tried one load that lasted a whole of 60seconds and never used it again.

have a very good vacuum cleaner on hand. you'll need it. and a broom.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I had 5 steelies blasted down to virgin metal for $60 at my local blasting shop.

They told be it takes 12 minutes to do a wheel -- Grab a bucket of stuff you need cleaned up and let them do it all at once--sure beats wasting money on DIY systems that cant give you the same result.

Ben

that is an exceptionally great price. i recently sand blasted 12 rims in an enclosed industrial sized cabinet at 80psi typically used for cleaning combustion liners on aeroengines and i can tell you it took more than 12 minutes per rim. i got to the point where i merely spot blasted the rust away and scoffed-up the surface before epoxy coat and paint.

i was quoted $25/wheel locally in the bay area. it was a lot of work cleaning and painting them but the end result was very satisfying.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa