• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larry's First 02 Project catch up...

bilbo2east

Well we're driving again!!! The carpet is in and looks great. We went withthe square weave from World and it looks very nice... I broke a sunroof cable and have ordered a set and when they come in we'll install the sunroof and we'll be nice and tight. The only missing trim is the "rain gutter" metal and I'll order a set as soon as I can but it's nice to driver her again. I posted a few pics of the interior and one exterior shot at:

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=998301162219073498/l=218075701/g=55530086

So take a look and thanks for all the great advise, help and incourgement! This is a very good forum!!!

Larry Birkholz

Vancouver WA USA

'76 2002 Chaminox OH2COOL

If you are still needing to install your carpet I do have some ideas that may help.

1. Get the floor pans as clean as possible and use FAT MAT sound proofing. There are guys that will tell you that you are adding a bunch of weight, but if you pull all the tar and paperboard out and replace it with the Fat Mat you will not be adding any meaningful weight and unless your building a race car who cares? The Fat Mat made a huge diffiference in the drivability in my car and makes gluing the new carpet in place a snap.

2. Use a "scalpul" shaped exacto knive, not the straight poining type. It just cuts the carpet fiber easier.

3. Take your time and line up each piece starting with the outside panels and work towards the tunnel. This will allow all the seams to lay right and hide the unseemed pannels.

4. I used 3M Super Duty spray adhesive. I've been told this won't hold up as well as some brands but found this to be just fine as there are only 1 or 2 days over 90deg in Vancouver. A hotter climate may require something else.

5. Use a "seam-ripper" to poke small holes in the carpet to locate the bolt holes for the seatbelts etc. This will allow you to find the spot with out cutting the fibers any more than necessary.

6. Mount your speakers if you have them in the wall separating the rear seat bench and the floor pan of the passenger seats. There is a ton of room and you won't sacrafice your door panles (really bad...you may go to 02 hell where they make you drive Corvair's) or any leg room if you are thinking about up under the dash on the wall of the front end.

Let me know how it goes and if you want any more tips...I'll try to be helpfull and good luck!

LB, Vancouver

Larry Birkholz

Vancouver WA USA

'76 2002 Chaminox OH2COOL