• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should / Could this car be saved.

asvander

I bought this 75 2002 for parts originally for the tii I'm now going to part out. (Unless someone wants to buy a running, but not moving, extremely rusted in the front, but strangely not in the shock towers, '74tii) I have most of the parts to fix it besides the outer rockers, 2 quarter patch panels, and possibly a pass inner rocker.

It's going to need pass floor front to back, rear subframe mount patching, probably both shock towers, rockers, rear wheelwell patching, and some patching in the trunk.

I'm buying a welder anyway, so I figure why not give it a shot since I have all but 300 to 500 of the parts to fix it.

It seems to run and shift pretty decently, and looks pretty decent too, although the paint job is probably a B- job at best. The front clip, the wheelwells, and front frame rails look decent yet. It looks like someone started fixing on it and then got into the rust and gave up.

Here are some pics:

100_1035.jpg

rearpassfloor.jpg

100_1034.jpg

100_1032.jpg

passrockermid.jpg

passrockermid2.jpg

passrockerfront.jpg

passrockerback.jpg

passflooroverview.jpg

driversubframemount.jpg

I love this one... notice the duct tape body work.

drivershocktowerback.jpg

Thoughts and input are much appreciated.

Regards,

Aric Vander Werff

1973 2002tii 1972 2002

do your retirement savings a favor and drop this one. way too much work. if it were a Porsche 356 or Ferrari or some other valuable car then yes.

i too hate to euthanize an 02 but there comes a time when it is the humane thing to do.

speak gently to it as you remove parts from it.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

this '02...it's waaaaaaay far gone. And it's too bad, because in the exterior shots, it looks pretty good. Just what an unwary or un-knowledgeable person would buy thinking they got a nice '02...then, surprise!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you had no morals or ethics, you could pass it off on Ebay. With the right photos it would sell quickly to some unsuspecting buyer. (not endorsing this idea!) It looks great until you look closely for the rust. Neil was right, it never sleeps!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Holy hell... did the PO spray the underside with salt before bed every night?

Unless you want to go blind from welding, i'd say the poor thing is off to the chopping block.

I've seen worse though. Some people I know find a rusted headlight trim ring and just build the car out from that point. You're not too far from that scenario...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Think of the money you'd save on brakes.

Just make sure you have good shoes on your feet.

As Carl Nelson was so fond of saying, "Crush it".

If there is no sentimental value, a tii, or other special model, then there are far more deserving patients out there in need of restorative surgery. Perhaps this cadaver is willing for you to hone your surgical skills on. At least that good could come out of it.

I, myself, am tempted by the sub-$1000 project cars that seem to appear in my backyard. I just have to remind myself that I already have a couple of projects going with the tii and the M3.

Lead us not into temptation...

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes