• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first DIY- fancy valve cover

mtriple

I did this while I had the engine out a few weeks ago but never had the time to post it here.

The goal was to refinish my valve cover in wrinkle finish with polished lines, letters and oil cap. I did it the first time and it took me a few hours, then screwed something up, learned from my first lesson and did it much better the second time around.

What you need:

* 1 can harley davidon wrinkle black paint

* Several 320/600/1000 grit sand paper

* DEFINATELY a good hairdryer

* A good paint stripper would help remove the old paint. I learned that after I already sanded everything out with 320 the first time

* Masking tape

* Blade

* A roll of shop towels

* Simple Green

* Metal Polish

* Patience

CIMG3413.jpg

First, go ahead and clean up everything with Simple Green inside, out to remove the grease and dirt.

Second, apply the paint stripper and remove the old paint from the top

Third, Clean up again with simple green. Sand with 320 to smooth the surface for painting

Fourth, and I learned that from the second time around, Polish the raised letters and lines BEFORE you paint TRUST ME. First start with the 320 grit then go to 600 and finally 1000. At this point you can go ahead and polish with the metal polish. Do the same for the cap of course. I left my cap polished and did not paint it.

Fifth, clean up again and let dry. Mask off what you do not want to paint.

Sixth heat up the valve cover using the hair dryer on high heat setting. It is never too hot.

Seventh, now time to paint apply a generous coat, followed by hairdrying on heat for 20 minutes- Reapeat for 4 coats hair drying on high heat between everytime for at least 20 minutes. I finally let it sleep overnight under a high heat lamp.

remember this needs a few days to harden so do not get any sharp object around the painted area as the top might be hard, but still softer underneath. Of course take off the masked area and enjoy.

Here is what mine looked like before:

CIMG3338.jpg

After

CIMG3483.jpg

CIMG3478.jpg

CIMG3476.jpg

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

That looks DAMN GOOD!

I went a different route recently and went with DIY powder coating... It’s not as nice as Bill Williams work on his touring and it was a lot of work, but hey it’s the cleanest thing under my hood...

post-548-13667577052836_thumb.jpg

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

your engine bay is a joy to behold as-is. your valve cover paintjob is a tasteful modification. nice work and nice writeup.

if only my engine bays would look that tidy...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Nice job!

I like the idea of polishing the raised parts first.

John

If you do otherwise, polishing on top of painted areas even if you mask off what you need unpolished will be equivilant to picking up 2000 hairs from the floor with a tweezer. Ask me how I know :)

That looks DAMN GOOD!

I went a different route recently and went with DIY powder coating... It’s not as nice as Bill Williams work on his touring and it was a lot of work, but hey it’s the cleanest thing under my hood...

That looks great! yes powder coating will be an excellent choice, but for a noob like myself, I'll start with paint!

your engine bay is a joy to behold as-is. your valve cover paintjob is a tasteful modification. nice work and nice writeup.

if only my engine bays would look that tidy...

Well I thank you kindly my good sir. This is an older picture, here is the latest after Jack Fahuna put the engine back (minus his finger prints on the air cleaner housing) :)

CIMG3647.jpg

I am still not done yet. I painted the engine bay while the engine was out. I need to finish off the hood/seals/trimmings. Hopefully this weekend!

That looks DAMN GOOD!

Nice, what did you use, an old oven? I'm considering doing some DIY powdercoating as well...

(nt)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

(nt)

i agree. i just wasn't as straightforward in saying so. i had one of those air canisters sandblasted and painted with leftover grey urethane used on T56/RR427 Gearboxes (used on C130's). can't wait to install it and it still looks wet weeks later.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa