• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof car - lets beat it to death Headliner Questions

lsixt

For all you DYI's that managed to replace your headliner in a sunroof car - I honor you!

I may just hand it over to someone that knows what they are doing, because it's obvious I don't. I have questions about this mini project. The responses I get will determine my next steps.

1) I read about a board that goes in the back near the rear window. Was that for all cars? Sunroof only cars? Or, only NON-sunroof cars?

2) How many BOWS does a sunroof car take? The sunroof headliner (which I have a new one of) only has two loops. One would therefore assume two bows. But see question 6...??

3) Where exactly do these bows go?

4) What is the orientation of the bows when installed? Does the bow bend up towards the roof, or down towards the floor, or to the front, or back?

5) What holds the bows in place?

6) I got NEW grommets that the ends of the bars go into. What do the grommets go into? On my car, there are round holes every so often on each side. The second loop doesn't line up with any of the round holes. There are metal clips coming out of the dome light board that (according to the old headliner), wrapped through the loop and around the bow. But that location doesn't have any round holes to hold the ends of that bow.

If anyone wants pictures, I can take some if my explainations aren't clear. I read all I could find, and you all make it look easy, but taking task to hand, all I can say is UGH.

Thanks for any help.

Len

PS - for those of you that may have to replace the front drain tubes for your sunroof, let me tell you. Get an electricians snake and snake up from under your front fenders and pull your tubing UP to the roof. I lost at least a pint of blood and discovered about thirty new curse words before I figured out how to pull those suckers in place.

sorry man but i was chuckling reading your post. i sense your frustration. ive never done a sunroof car so the only thing i can help with is telling you you dont have one of the fiber boards you speak of as they dont come with sunroof cars. dont give up, once you get all your questions answered youll be able to do it... good luck

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

1) I read about a board that goes in the back near the rear window. Was that for all cars? Sunroof only cars? Or, only NON-sunroof cars?

2) How many BOWS does a sunroof car take? The sunroof headliner (which I have a new one of) only has two loops. One would therefore assume two bows. But see question 6...??

3) Where exactly do these bows go?

4) What is the orientation of the bows when installed? Does the bow bend up towards the roof, or down towards the floor, or to the front, or back?

5) What holds the bows in place?

6) I got NEW grommets that the ends of the bars go into. What do the grommets go into? On my car, there are round holes every so often on each side. The second loop doesn't line up with any of the round holes. There are metal clips coming out of the dome light board that (according to the old headliner), wrapped through the loop and around the bow. But that location doesn't have any round holes to hold the ends of that bow.

#1. The Board is ONLY ON SUNROOF CARS, the board has two metal clips that hold a steel rod (the other "bow" loop in your headliner)

#2. 1 bow, 1 steel rod, see #1.

#3. the one bow goes toward the back of the car, pressing against the roof (direction: toward the back) into foam that was originally glued to the inside of the roof, the other "bow" is realy a rod, see #1.

#4. see #3.

#5. see all of the above, I guess

#6. That second loop is for the rod.

The rod that snaps into the board is about half as thick as the bow. It is also completely straight, and shorter, so it doesn't snap into the grommets or caps on the side of the roof like the bow. Do you have this rod?

'71 colorado 2002

All the rods I have have the curves and hooks on them.

I'll have to look to see if I have this "rod". Don't recall seeing it.

It's been 7 years in the process. Parts for the most part are around the garage someplace.

If I can't locate this rod, I'll need one.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Len

SR cars have a flat retangular panel that boxes in the sliding panel when in the open position. The dome light mounts to the center of this panel. There's also a row of metal spikes mounted to the panel. The front loop on the liner has a straight rod that runs through it, The loop is then speared by the spikes below the rod. There s no curved panel by the rear window like on a non SR car. Also the dome light is in the center of the roof , not above ther drivers left ear.

look here for good photo documentation:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,287791/

btw, non-sunroof cars have the narrow hardboard at the rear window.

starting from the rear windshield you'll be pulling the headliner forward to get it tight. pulling the rods forward helped tighten the headliner.

it's not rocket science, just allow yourself time.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I did the headliner on my flared 71 many years ago.

Just me, no help, and not this wealth of info from the internet.

That may have been the key. I didn't know enough to be scared or intimidated. Also, the headliner was only like 90 bucks, so no fear in screwing it up.

Now, nearly 20 years later I will be doing another headliner on a sunroof car (soon, I hope). After reading all this info and horror stories, I am a little hesitant. I just need to remind myself that the damn part only cost $150, and I ~have~ done it before. Maybe the trick is to not over-think the project.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes