• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a E30 engine fit?

E9

First off, I'd like to say Hi. I'm new to this forum and '02's.

Two months ago I hit black ice and spun my '86 325es off the road. The frame and much of the sheet metal is twisted but the motor and I survived with nothing more than scratrches. The engine is almost new- replaced less than 30k ago.

My Question(s) for all of you are;

-Can an E30 motor be made to fit a '76 02? If so, are there any wright up's for this conversion?

- Are any of the 325 parts useable on a 2002 aside from the wheels?

This may have been asked already if so, My bad! but I did search 1st.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Cheers

New to 2002's but Not BMW's

The motor will fit but you will need to cut the nose and find a 323i speed to mate up to it. Also, I wouldn't waste my time puttinh an E motor into it unless it had I pistons and rods.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Hey,

Welcome to the madness!

In short - yes. An M20 (small E30 6cyl engine) conversion is relatively common on 02's. There are several write-ups out there on the web if you look but I can give you some info here:

http://www.marsmann.com/2002tii/baby6.htm

You'll have to make some mods of course but it will work.

Not too many other parts will fit from an E30. Some folks put the Recaro seats in 02's but they tend to sit kind of high.

• 4 weeks later...
The motor will fit but you will need to cut the nose and find a 323i speed to mate up to it.

Why cut off your nose to spite your face? No pun intended, haha!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

If you type m20 into the search tool you will get back 18 pages of posts with information on the swap.

There is also a FAQ in draft form that Daniel put together that is located here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,274773/

I also have a copy of the 6 goes into 2 swap document. It is in PDF form and I can send you a copy if you want it.