• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping parts organized? A question for you retentive types.

gofargogo

Ok, so I tend to be less than organized in my shop. Piles of motorcycle parts mix with bicycle parts mix with mechanics tools mix with woodworking stuff mix with....you get the idea.

I'm really curious how you guys keep your 02 parts organized when you do a full tear down restoration. Do you use BMW's part numbers as the organizing principal? Store fasteners with parts, or sort by size and grade?

My idea (based on no experience) would be to get a copy of the parts fiche, I assume there's one to be had from somewhere, and dismantle and store everything according to part numbers in boxes and shelves like a dewy decimal system for moily parts.

I'd love to hear any tips or experiences you have with this sort of thing.

I use a sharpie marker and my complete crapass memory to recall where each thing is in this mess:

PackedGarage.jpg

I try to keep certain subcomponents in individual oxes (pedalbox and steeringbox, for example) and then I have the box o' hoses, seals, wiring, you get the idea.

The only thing I really go detailed about is nuts and bolts, but I just bought a few sall drawer-type things for that.

I'd recommend you make a chart of your garage. It makes thing much easier to find. See below for a simplified example...

Chart.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

that is classic H-Krix!!!

kinda like my shit-hole mess, only my floor slopes and the roof leaks and a couple windows are broken, but hey, it's home away from home.

i agree with sharpie and ziplock bags and plastic storage boxes

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Rule Number 1:

Do not disassemble car during 'driving' season

#2:

do not tear apart before you have all the replacement parts ready to go right back on

#3:

if you think you can do something in 1 hour - or one afternoon -

STOP and THINK again! - it will be more like 1 hour = 1 weekend,

and 1 day = 1 week

#4:

make written notes, use masking tape to tag wiring and

plug connectors, zip bags, clean plastic boxes - NOT CARDBOARD!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Anything to be re-assembled in short order goes the baggie/sharpie- labeled route. All other things go in any parts box w/ room in the storage shed. That way, when I have to start looking for it in the future, I find all sorts of items I'd forgotten I had.

Bob Napier

Geez C.D., do you also look for jigsaw puzzles that are already half assembled???? Where is the fun and sense of accomplishment in your logic? Besides, a car that is torn apart stands much less risk of being stolen. There should be a huge discount for auto insurance.

My M3 has been in a state of refurbishment for almost 2 years now.(ie: on jackstands with both subframes, interior, etc... pulled out) The 20 year old car turned out to be a VERY slippery slope.

The big key on organization is to have adequate and labled storage for the parts. All parts get a post-it note with the part # and description of the part and get put in a ziploc baggie. From there they get sorted and end up in plastic bins. I have many of the wing-top 6 gallon plastic storage bins. Each has a label on the front- brakes, suspension/steering, cooling, interior, etc... Also, on the front of each bin is a plastic envelope with a LIST OF WHAT'S IN THAT BIN. This saves you from hoofing out bin after bin looking for one stupid part.

Keep a master list of what parts you need w/ sizes and part #'s and estimated costs. CHECK OFF THE PARTS YOU HAVE so you don't go buying doubles. Although, with the cost increases on BMW parts, these could be considered a good investment.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

All other things go in any parts box w/ room in the storage shed. That way, when I have to start looking for it in the future, I find all sorts of items I'd forgotten I had.

Bob Napier

hahahaha! Yeah, that's similar to my current method. I've always used the "archaeological" method: I keep piling new stuff on top, and then when looking for something think "Ok...I saw that widget six months ago, that should be about 18" down in the pile."

However, I'm trying to change my ways and actually get organized. I'm tired of spending 80% of my time looking for something and only 10% fixing something (the other 10% of my time usually goes into swearing and frowning).

even after bagging and tagging them- the shop/garage gnomes always seem to hide them from me when I need em.

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

Guest Anonymous

are good for storing all the little stuff that goes with a particular part. Also - never trust your self to remember why you replaced a part and then decided to keep the old one. Nothing worse than staring at something like an old heater box, trying to remember if it had a leak or not. Label it. Tags with string or wire are good.