• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key broken in ignition

Byron

I used the search, but only got info on keys broken in the door locks. Any quick fixes to get half a f*&^%ing key out of the ignition? Quick?

True Friends - Looks like I may be on two wheels this weekend, but I WILL be there!

Byron

76 02 inka

04 r1150r

If you can afford a locksmith -- during the day tomorrow so as not to pay ridiculous after hours rates, it might be money well spent. A decent locksmith can be a friggin magician at extracting a key shank sometimes. I've had a few removed around here for as little as $35. I hope you get this resolved either way. See you this weekend!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Did it break getting it out? or is it stuck in on position? Is the steering wheel locked? If the steering is unlocked, you can remove the ignition "switch" from the back of the lock with a small straight blade screwdriver(two screws), and temporarily drive it until it can be fixed.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

It actually must have happened a few days ago, because I haven't driven it in a couple days. That's what sucks the most....I could have been trying to work out this dilemma days ago.

At least it happened at home....in my garage.

Byron

76 02 inka

04 r1150r

Take the bottom paper cover off underneath the ignition lock. You will see a small pin that holds the ignition lock in. Its under an 1/8. Drill that out .Do not go to far. Ignition lock pulls out. Simple matter to push key out. Of course if its not in off position use a screwdriver to turn to off.Spend a nickel and replace pin. Make sure pin does not go too far in.....Good Luck...Keep the broken piece as the lock smith will make the dup from it .The ignition lock does not have to be in car to replace keyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Good Luck