• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What model bmw was the original ultimate driving machine?

Lorfjord

bimmerboard has a metal "bimmerboard" sticker. I think we need something like that for our 02s. And the some of the proceeds could go to this site.

I dont have paypal anymore due to someone hacking into paypal, I think via ebay. But if there were other ways to support this board....like 02 stickers via visa or some other way.

Werent there supposed to be some stickers coming up soon for sale?

If the 02 was the original ultimate driver...then I think a sticker would be a nice reminder.

i believe that marketing ad campaign started with the 320i series.

and, incidentally, the original photo and TV commercials were filmed on Bolinas Ridge on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County. Many car commercials have been filmed there since, but to my knowledge BMW was the first.

i recall reading an article on that location and the BMW ad, in the Wall Street Journal years ago.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

with new factory supplied 2002s at Ontario Motor Speedway and there were Ultimate Driving Machine banners on the fences. I still have the one I took off the fence at the end of the day. It's possible that the UDM started in 1975 when BMWNA took over from Hoffman and the factory ran the IMSA CSLs, but whatever, it was before USA 3-series were out that the slogan was used.

the Ultimate Driving Machine tagline. Will have to go back thru my collection of ads and catalogs...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This is from "Advertising Age"

"Posted Aug 7th 2006 9:01PM by John Neff

Filed under: Marketing/Advertising, BMW

BMW has used the tagline "Ultimate Driving Machine" for 31 years. During that time its sales in the U.S. have gone from 15,007 units in 1974 the year before the ad slogan began to 266,200 units in 2005. While producing outstanding automobiles during that time may have something to do with the brand's success, no doubt the tagline is considered one of the best in the automotive biz."

So the date of "The Ultimate Driving Machine" appears to be 1975.

The personalized license plate for my '78 320i read, "UTIM8"

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

The personalized license plate for my '78 320i read, "UTIM8"

Delia

ULTIM8

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

By the way,

To learn about BMW's rise to prominence in the Automotive World, you might buy a book entitled "Driven: About BMW, the World's Most Admired Car Company.

David Kiley, the author, is also the Detroit Bureau chief of USA Today. He posted a request on another message board to drive a BMW 2002 to research this book. I met with him on day in Ann Arbor and let him drive my tii as part of his "research."

When he finished driving, I got behind the wheel and gave a "real ride."

He was impressed. So impressed, he mentions me in the acknowledgments at the book's beginning.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com