• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just A Little Rant!

Should Minis be included in BMW events?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should Minis be included in BMW events?

• No way! They're English!
    • Offer them som tea and crumpets but stay away from the German stuff.
    • Sure, the more the merrier.

Hey Ray (aka Mini B.) thanks for the shout out!

BTW - I think I know figured out a good name tag for you for the Palo Alto S&S....

More fuel for the fire:

Encouraging Mini owners to attend BMW events is possibly BMWNA's way of developing future BMW owners.

Don't 2001 - 2006 Mini's have a Chrysler designed motor built in Brazil? It can be argued that since the "M" in BMW stands for motor, the Mini isn't really a BMW since it doesn't have a BMW designed motor.

Do owners of 2001+ Minis face the same scrutiny from the "original" Mini crowd?

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

Let's not forget what happened with Glas and BMW a while back too when BMW bought the company out. And that Mazda 1500, the one that had the BMW rear quarter windows. BMW has put it's name on a lot of things over the years. I was told about these two examples a couple of months ago, but only vaugely remember the information. Maybe someone can expand on it...

fs_b10431.jpg

Looks kinda familiar, huh?

fs_1500saloonbr.jpg

Who would have thought these come from Japan...

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

http://www.glasclub.org/publ_en/hist/hi_frm.htm

Substantial investments and restructuring would be necessary, in order to secure the success of GLAS for the future. Also, the image of the GLAS company was not developed enough to keep pace with the product program. This increasing gap could not be overcome which was necessary to insure success for GLAS in the future in the market place. This problem was fully understood by GLAS and therefore it was agreed to be taken over by BMW, which took place on November 10, 1966

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Heck, BMW owns Rolls-Royce, so why not invite Rolls owners (not that they'd come...)

cheers

mike

ah shucks, i can't let that misperception fly.

BMW owns the exclusive rights to USE the Rolls-Royce ltd. name/trademark, only.

the REAL Rolls-Royce, ie Rolls-Royce plc divested itself from the car company back in the early 70's when the whole company almost went bankrupt developing a composite fan blade for the RB211 engine for the L10-11 aircraft. RR-limited was sold to Vickers who also owned Bentley. Vickers in turn sold Bentley and they ASSUMED Rolls-Royce ltd to VW. VW got a rude awakening when they found out that the RR name was still owned and controlled by RR-plc. at the time BMW was outbid by VW for the Vickers holdings at the last minute.

pay-back's a bitch though because BMW and RR-plc was already involved in a joint effort making V2500 engines near Berlin. VW was allowed use of the RR-ltd name for 3 years only at which time BMW took the name over. details may be in error but this is the gist.

btw, there were rumors of a RR-plc buyback of RR-ltd back in the 90's but keener minds prevailed.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I disagree. I work at a BMW dealer and plenty of Mini's have been traded in and the people brought BMW's. What your saying is the new owners of BMW's should would be at a Mini show.

BMW's a BMW and Mini is a Mini just because BMW owns Mini doesn't give the Mini owners the right to be in a show with BMW's unless it has a separate event for non BMW's. It was Bimmerfest and not Minifest.

Mini's are good cars and I might even own one someday so I'm not trying to put Mini owners down.

Just because BMW owns Mini doesn't give Mini's exclusive rights. I don't see Mercedes at Chrysler shows. I don't even think there is a Chysler show but there has been Mopar shows.

And how about isettas? I say the more the merrier.

Isettas are different. They have a Roundel! And they have BMW logos on their hubcaps.

Which reminds me of a story that hapened a couple weeks ago. A sub-contractor I use was doing some installing and we were talking cars. I mentioned I owned a couple a BMWs and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Really? Cool, I own a Mini!"

Doesn't have a clue!!

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

BMW's a BMW and Mini is a Mini just because BMW owns Mini doesn't give the Mini owners the right to be in a show with BMW's unless it has a separate event for non BMW's.

Ooookaaayyyy.

Maybe the organisers promoted the show through their forum which has a section for MINI's on it? Then dedicated a small area for the car at the show...

I grew up in a household where my parents promoted automotive events for a living. I was constantly involved in promotion of the show to perspective members of the public, car clubs, etc.

You want to make something as big and best as possible, so if you have a willing participant to attend the show in very neat cars - which there are some AWESOME MINI's in the US - why discourage an entrant?

In the end the cars make the show, so the more the merrier I say.

toddsig05.jpg