• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Williams - What battery did you put in the Touring?

Nobody seems to have the time or knows how to answer my questions about the 26R batteries...the only ones I've seen have the hold down ledge on the "long sides"...not the short sides or "end" like in your pic (where the hold-down device is located on the tray).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/billwill72tii/1%20hot%20hatch/tiibatteryholddown-1.jpg

Mine is exactly like yours.....I have a Group 42 wedged in there now on my '73tii (been there 10 years), held by a bungie cord (but it wouldn't go anywhere I'm sure).

When I replace my battery, I would like to be more period correct and go with the 26R battery...I have the hold-down device.

Your thoughts?

Thanks & I'll see you at Carlisle...I'll probably drive my Malaga '76.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

John,

That is odd..my '69 2000 has the battery hold down as Mike mentioned earlier and my prior carburetted 2002's as well, I have a 26R in the 2000 but I could also use a group size 42. I had a Malaga '73tii in the early 1990's and had a group size 42 in it, group size 26R would have been much easier to put in/take out. The group size 42 did not have a top strap which would have made it much easier, don't remember having a battery hold down for that car though but it's strange seeing one on the short side.

Tim

'69 2000

Well, I suppose I'll have to remove my old Die-Hard and examine the tray further & provide a pic....I am "assuming" the threaded hole is like Bill's Touring, because I squeezed my hand under the long side of the tray last night and I could "not" feel a welded nut or hole on the long side...all I could feel was the circular opening. I couldn't reach to the short end to feel or see the threaded hole there.

Now, you have me wondering.....there "has" to be one there, since I can't believe BMW would design a tray without a hold down device.

My tray is absolutely "original" to the car, and it's welded in place. The tray on my '76 is totally different, and it indeed has the hold down on the long side - it actually "bulges" outward to accept the hold-down in that area.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"