• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with safety belts. 1969 1600.

My fronts are lap belts and there are none in the back. I need back belts so my kids can ride in the car. Anybody have some pics so I can see what they are supposed to be. I bought a set for a 1974 2002. The don't look like they are going to fit. Here are my belts and the ones I bought. I also notice it looks like a part for a shoulder strap for the front. Is this what it is for? Thanks, Scott. I also notice a pin in the front seat belt retrctor. I do not have a spot for this pin.HPIM0411.jpg

HPIM0412.jpg

HPIM0413.jpg

HPIM0414.jpgHPIM0415.jpg

the seat cushion does not have the appropriate "cutouts" -- you can use later style belts in the front, mount the "b" pillar above the ashtray on the rear door panel as pictured. Are you sure the old lap belts are not hiding under the rear seat? --they can disappear down there. If you find them and if your kids are still in carseats, go to babies R us or similar and get something called a mighty-tite -- this will allow you to ratchet the carseat down securely.

I have a set of front and rear lap belts from a 1970 that are in supurb condition (center loop style) I'd consider selling them.

--> 1968 2002 <--

My dear Sir,

Hate to tell you, but your 02 will not take the later belts without a lot of modification: locating pin holes not in rockers, no captured nut in the B pillar or C pillar for shoulder loop for proper 3 point automatic belts front and rear.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

HTH,

Max

Maximillian

800-950-2002

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

for the pin on the front reels. It helps to keep them aligned vertically so that when you pull out on the belt it doesn't bind. Mine are working fine without the pins. If you want to keep the pins, it's just a hole into the inner rocker. No big deal to add.

You will have to have a nut welded into the "B" pillar. 7/16x20 IIRC, you might be able to find a weld-in insert with a little clever google searching. This isn't a really big deal, do you know anyone with a MIG welder

I'd certainly try those retractable belts in the rear before you give up

Cheers!

John N

I don't mind the lap belt. Just wondering if this is how she was built. My kids are 10 and 11 years old. I need something to keep them in place.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you put the locating pin holes in. The belts may appear to work properly without the pin while the car is parked (static condition). However the pins keep the retractor mechanism working properly under dynamic conditions. Under the force of a load (ie: hard braking and/or crash) the retractor could tilt when your body weight pulls on it and hence not lock the belt and make it useless for the safety purpose intended. Why play with your life !

Good luck,

HTH,

Max

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

I have a 1969 2002 and I have the same seatbelt mounts that you do.

It looks like someone removed the original KLIPPON "Spaghetti Strap" seatbelts and retrofitted lapbelts only in the front.

The original seatbelt layout had a central wire clipon strap bolted to the tunnel and a shoulder/lap belt combination bolted to the floor and back window. The seatbelts were friction adjusted so once you're clipped in you can't lean forward.

The connector in your picture #3 is the original shoulder strap connection point.

The rear seatbelts had a small wire ring on one side and a lapbelt on the other, friction adjusted also.

post-172-13667578375985_thumb.jpg

post-172-13667578377016_thumb.jpg

post-172-13667578377836_thumb.jpg

post-172-13667578378936_thumb.jpg

post-172-13667578379738_thumb.jpg

an e-mail. I did this 20+ years ago on my early second series '69 and they work just fine, albeit they don't like to retract all the way due to the upper shoulder harness mounting being under the rear quarter window. But they lock up perfectly in a panic stop,and that's what you want.

As for rear belts, any lap belt setups (pre inertia reel) will work--that is something from an '02 built prior to mid-72, when they started installing inertia reels in front.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite