• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coil overs are done!

ash00

woo hoo-

Thanks RacingAli for everything- can't wait to try it out...in a year.

post-401-1366757839477_thumb.jpg

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

Howdy,

This is the ground control honda kit that I got from RacingAli on the forum here- its basically a weld on strut tube, that is tapped for a retaining nut on top. There is a thin collar that wraps around the strut tube that is welded. This retains the threaded sleeve (the red aluminum piece) that holds the bottom flange for teh spring. I'm going to be running a 230lb spring with a single adj. koni yellow so it should be darn firm. The two tabs on top will be used to mount the sway bars (rather than the control arm).

Aashish

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

The ride should be sports and firm, to get real hard you need revalved shocks and higher spring rates.

Body roll with stock sway bars and coilovers should eliminate about 80% of body roll. With harder tires about 90%.

Im using 520 pound springs on the front and 380 on my rear of my E28 chassis (heavier car).

You will need adjustable sway bar endlinks as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The struts are larger in OD, but I think they were a little bit shorter. I recently sold my bilsteins, so I can't compare- but I can measure these if you want me to.

As far as the strut housings, I have pictures at http://photos.yahoo.com/nigetufnel under the 1969 folder way at the bottom. I cut the stock tube to about 2" from the bottom, and about 1.15" from the new strut tubes from Ground control. I don't remember the lengths again off the top of my head, but I can double check sometime tomorrow evening. It took me a lil' bit to figure it out from RacingAli's instructions, but looks like it works- the next test is installing it in the car and seeing how they settle.

Aashish

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Thank you, I saw the pics.... I think to do the same with my tii struts...

1. can you tell me the part number of the ground control tube?

2. where i can to buy this tube?

3. what is the brand and reference of the new front shocks?

4. I saw that between the tube and the suport doesn't welded, only the external side was welded... may be cause any problem?

Thanks

There is a plate that was welded on the front of the spindle area where the dust shield bolts to, to the strut tube. Its directly over the area that wasn't welded.

Yes- that area wasn't welded, but that plate should be sufficient. I wasn't able to get the torch in that small area, but I got as close as I could and rubbed sealent in there- so moisture wouldn't accumulate inside. I hope that works

As far as part numbers- you might try emailing RacingAli. Email me off board and I can give you his email.

Aashish

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

And which Honda is for ?

As far as I know and maybe Ash can clarify things too, these RacingAli's coilovers were specifically designed for our 2002s. RacingAli is a suspension engineer and designed the GC setup that they currently sell. The spindle is from a tii strut and the strut housing is a 50mm tube that can accept an e46 strut insert (KONI SA/DA). RacingAli and Ash let me know if I'm off base here.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/