• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed Q - not found in search (!)

I should know this - but I've inhaled alot of petroleum distillates over the last few years.

What speedo cable is used on the E21 5 sp conversion please?

None of the write-ups I found listed which one is used - is OE 2002 4 sp. long enough?

Mucho Thank-O!

random car photo enclosed

Paul

post-2748-13667578418229_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

automatic cable for 2002 or you can get the 7'' cable from a 320i to add to your stock cable i beleave that right.

jp cadoux

JP Cadoux

A1 Imports Autoworks

(415)453-3601

a1imports@sbcglobal.net

www.a1importsautoworks.com

BMW Technician

Guest Anonymous

Shouldn't you be bending at the knees when lifting a porsche by its rear?

I think you research skill need honing. According to my cobwebbed-marvel-mystery-laden-memory makes me want to volunteer the speedo cable from the automatic works fine. Seem to recall someone also stating that the Bavaria E3(you know what that is!) is also a viable candidate.

You been eatin too many crab cakes!

BTDT, many times. Unbelievably the Close Ratio speedometer cable (part number 62 12 1 351 720) is still available and is THE best fit for doing a 245 five speed overdrive transmission swap in an '02. The last shop I was at I did about three or more 5spd conversions each year. Not so much anymore, it's been to long. With all the parts on hand I used to get them done in 8 to 9 hours. :-(

SSF shows list price at $79.95... They used to be much cheaper just a few years ago.

Much of the details are still listed on the Bimmers.com '02 site under "go fast upgrades"...."transmission"

http://www.bimmers.com/02/

One detail I worked out is the crossmember mounting ears / brackets. A local BMW wrecking yard used to supply me with used 4 speed mounting ears from all the '02s he dismantled. The trans is a tight fit with those ears in there but I used to also widen the tunnel a little there for an easier fit.

The correct BMW 5spd mounting ears are a little bit narrower making things fit easier. Double02 Salvage in Hayward CA has very nice copies of the original 5spd mounting ears made, and sell them for a very reasonable price!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

One detail I worked out is the crossmember mounting ears / brackets. A local BMW wrecking yard used to supply me with used 4 speed mounting ears from all the '02s he dismantled. The trans is a tight fit with those ears in there but I used to also widen the tunnel a little there for an easier fit.

that's a nice little tidbit of info to be aware of beforehand. i learned another tip from a mechanic at the palo alto show who was selling a very nice powder-coated shortened shifter, fairly priced.

if you are on the board, pardon my paraphrasing your information and please correct me if i've butchered your description.

anyhow, apparently, the older 228mm clutch/flywheel combo, when mated to a 5spd has a different clutch engagement distance than what we're used to for the 4spd. he suggested two workarounds:

1. use the newer 74-76 clutch/flywheel combo, or

2. elongate the pivot point on the bell housing where the little plastic cone-like appendage is pressed in place, by removing the plastic piece, tapping the hole and screwing a bolt in place that can be adjusted outward to move the clutch lever arm pivot point.

i believe his advise for two reasons

a) my only other experience with a 5spd conversion was with a 74 02 (thus smaller clutch/flywheel) and no discernable difference. and

B) my recent 5spd came with a bolt where the plastic pivot was supposed to be, just like he described. However, I, in my infinite wisdom removed said bolt and replaced with plastic cone, thinking to myself, geeze, what was the PO thinking? i am now faced with learning first hand if the clutch engagement point is indeed different.

also, wrt the Bavaria speedo cable. i'm using it and it's quite a bit longer than necessary. was a bit of a pain to attach to the speedometer and i needed to use a tie-wrap to secure it to the clutch master cylinder to keep it from dangling too low.

one last point: in my instance, the stock shifter platform support bar had to be modified to clear the darn rear tranny support and the u-shaped bracket which is bolted to the rear of the tranny (removed from the 4-spd, btw), had to be turned somewhat to install the bolt. a bit of work that required me to bend and weld the support bar somewhat.

FWIW, thought i'd share my recent experience.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

PLEASE browse the five speed conversion page under "go fast upgrades" .... "transmission" on the Bimmers.com page for the many details of the Getrag 245 /5 overdrive, 235/5 '02 close ratio five speed, and the 245/10 e21 CR 5spd conversions. And use the search feature here too. If you still have any further questions feel free to ask here. It's a joy, never a problem, to answer questions.

http://www.bimmers.com/02/

I recommend to NOT use the driveshaft measurements from that site. JMO. DO YOUR OWN. (not yelling, just emphasizing) Once everything else is installed correctly take the total measurement TWICE and then don't forget to measure the guibo and minus that from the total for your car's correct driveshaft length.

The throw out bearing TOB to use with a 228mm clutch setup is from the euro e21 323i with the 245 trans # 21 51 1 204 525 which lists at $80.50. The basic reason is, that the e21 320i 5spd used the 215mm clutch whereas the 323i used the 228mm with a similar (but so special to the M20 swap guys) 245 trans. There is no need to mess around with trying to modify any clutch arms and such to get the 228 to work.

The ORIGINAL CR 5spd mounting ears / brackets appear to be available again (they were NLA for a long time) under # 41 12 1 808 830 for a list price of $14.40 ea. They fit the trans and tunnel much better w/o having to widen anything being narrower than the 4spd ones. A few years ago when I was doing lots of conversions it was just easier to get the free brackets from our friend at the "yard" than wait for the original ones from the dealer when they weren't NLA or on intergalactic backorder. It was a trick but not the best way.

Don't forget to see Rob Torres 2002haus.com bolt in conversion kit. It's VERY well made and BEAUTIFUL. Even I, after doing so many, bought a couple of his kits, one for my dad's original owner 2760007 tii and my cousin Matt Brown's '74 tii.

http://www.2002haus.com/kit/index.htm

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• 1 month later...