• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At wits end

midijab

It's running more than good enough right now so where I could probably wait till 8/4/2007 and take it to SLO.

You MUST do that, we have a good group of Tourings in California. Have to go up to SLO together.

Some SoCal Tourings. (Clickable Thumbnails)

th_hwy3306016.jpgth_hwy3306019.jpg

th_hwy3306020.jpgth_hwy3306027.jpg

Some NorCal Tourings:

th_PaloAlto06058-1.jpgth_PaloAlto06039.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Although a flickering gauge could be a poor solder joint and/or corroded connector, the most likely culprit is a deficient ground. This is a good opportunity to practice the KISS principle.

Later model instrument clusters (like the one on my '76) have a factory provided ground lung, earlier clusters (like the one on my '72) do not. I added additional grounds to my '72 cluster. As many have suggested, put some spade lugs onto the two nuts that hold the gauges to the PWB.

Like most troubleshooting on the car, start with the easy solutions, move towards the more difficult/complex. Put the wires in. If it helps, consider it a cheap and easy fix. If it doesn't, try something different.

Regards,

John N

Great pics Steve! I need to see these Tourings up close so I can get an idea of what I need to restore. Real OEM and the ETK can only go so far. I definitely gotta plan for August 4th! I've never been to one of these get togethers before. Do people bring parts around for sale? Like I've said before, there are a lot of "little" things that I want to replace.

JB

'72 1602

'07 E83 - Daily Driver

on the tourings? And how it is wired?

I only have the low Brake fluid level, choke, handbrake light functions on my 74. No low fuel light. Unless I just haven't run it down that low yet.

That's interesting that your Touring has the low brake fluid. The pages I posted above, come from the Touring Supplementary Handbook, and the "Key to electrical diag" shows the Cluster (41) and the tell-tale (o) as being only for fuel, handbrake & choke. Another of life's mysteries.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

That's interesting that your Touring has the low brake fluid. The pages I posted above, come from the Touring Supplementary Handbook, and the "Key to electrical diag" shows the Cluster (41) and the tell-tale (o) as being only for fuel, handbrake & choke. Another of life's mysteries.

Just when you thought you knew everything...

Possibly the later models or maybe just the 1802's had this. Personally, I would rather be warned about my hydraulic fluid being low (a safety issue), rather than a light telling me that I haven't looked at the fuel gauge (a common sense issue).

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Didn't get a chance to disassemble the cluster today as I got home late from work. Will try again tomorrow. However, I did manage to get a pic of the 3-wire fuel sender unit.

post-2812-13667578690816_thumb.jpg

JB

'72 1602

'07 E83 - Daily Driver

Didn't get a chance to disassemble the cluster today as I got home late from work. Will try again tomorrow. However, I did manage to get a pic of the 3-wire fuel sender unit.

The wires appear to be correctly attached.

Brown-Black to W, Brown-Yellow to G.

The Brown-Black should run via the handbrake & choke switches to #5 pin on the gauge cluster plug. The Brown-Yellow goes directly to #10 pin on the plug. The solid brown goes to the earth point in the trunk.

Les

FAQ Member #17

Just when you thought you knew everything...

Possibly the later models or maybe just the 1802's had this. Personally, I would rather be warned about my hydraulic fluid being low (a safety issue), rather than a light telling me that I haven't looked at the fuel gauge (a common sense issue).

It looks (from the electrical diagram) that it would be relatively easy to add the low brake fluid to the circuit. Buy/obtain the correct cap, run a wire to earth and splice in the other to the wire that runs to the cluster.

Then when the red lamp lights up you have 4 things to worry about!

Les

FAQ Member #17

Sent you a note via email.

Got it! Thanks Rob! I get with you soon.

It looks (from the electrical diagram) that it would be relatively easy to add the low brake fluid to the circuit. Buy/obtain the correct cap, run a wire to earth and splice in the other to the wire that runs to the cluster.

Then when the red lamp lights up you have 4 things to worry about!

I'm definitely going to add the 4th lamp as an upgrade in the future.

Les, got your email, Big THANKS for the interesting info!

JB

'72 1602

'07 E83 - Daily Driver