• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graphite and Moly Lube additives.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I had a friend offer me a tube of something called "Moly lube" for my engine. I asked around and heard that Graphite and Moly Lube have been used off and on - for years- as engine oil supplements. (ARCO graphite oil, I am told, is an example.) I am also told, it makes things nice and black and is difficult to wash off your hands as well as engine parts.

If this stuff is so remarkable, why is it not in every oil product?

Is it just too expensive?

Will it clog my oil filter?

Does any body use this so-called "magic" elixir?

Do these additives really work?

Should I use this product in my cars?

Thanks in advance.

bottom line - if you need to add an additive

to your motor oil - you need to change oil brands.

If this stuff is so remarkable, = IT'S NOT

why is it not in every oil product? = SEE BOTTOM LINE

Is it just too expensive? = PRICE IS SUBJECTIVE

Will it clog my oil filter? = IT MAY

Does any body use this so-called "magic" elixir? = ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A COMMENT __________?

Do these additives really work? = SOME FUEL SYSTEM, OIL SYSTEM 'FLUSHING' PRODUCTS DO - BUT NOT FOR AN ALREADY CLEAN

MOTOR ~ AND NOT ADDED TO YOUR GOOD QUALITY MOTOR OIL

Should I use this product in my cars? ~ ONLY LAWN MOWERS, WOOD CHIPPERS, WORNOUT FARM IMPLIMENTS

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

moly disulphide has been used in grease for a very long time. it's used in the gas turbine industry in the cold sections of the engine. it is avoided like the plague for high temperature turbine section due to embrittlement issues with Ni-based alloys. M10 engines DO NOT reach the high temperatures to cause a problem. I have not seen it added to any turbine or gearbox oils. i use powdered Mo with oil as an anti-seize on bolts and as a lubricant. this mixture is also used during assembly of some aeroengines.

don't bother adding it to motor oil...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Engine application is much different than greases because oil under goes shear. Moly and graphite are platelit shaped and split up under shearing action. Grease is usually either slow sliding action (shear) or rolling action. Works good under heavy loading for greases.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Guest Anonymous

Molylube and graphite lube are similar and are not to be used in engines. Mainly used in the breaking in of flat tappet camshafts these lubes are to be used on startup/break in only and flushed out of the system. The graphite will increase the wear on bearings by grinding the particulate matter into the surface and will remove the outter soft layer of babbit.

Additives FTL

bobistheoilguy.com will explain in further detail

Guest Anonymous

Dear Oldguy:

That's a very interesting site. However, you must have misread the conclusions regarding moly. Bob (whoever) seems to be endorsing a specific brand Schaffer that has superfine molybdenum.

"Engineers have overcome these obstacles. They have developed a process that keeps Moly in suspension and isn't filtered out. Since that time the product has undergone extensive independent testing in labs and in the field for many years to insure that the product stands up to the rigorous needs of today's engines. With the plating action of Moly reducing friction which reduces heat, this helps keep rings free from carbon buildup, prevents blow-by, decreases emission, and extends oil life. "

http://bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html

I have no personal experience with the above website or the oil industry other than the fact that I am a constant oil consumer. The site supports most of the opinions rendered by JimK to the extent that additives appear to be counterproductive to the original blender's magical mystery efforts.

It is interesting to note that years ago, maybe when Oldguy was known as "Not-so-old-guy" Arco produced its own blended graphite treated oil. I do not believe it is marketed now, and it is unclear whether they stopped selling it because of costs, poor advertising, or because it was a product that did not meet quality expectations as you suggest. I have a friend that used the product on his 67 427 corvette. When he sold the car in the mid 90's it still had the original engine. Admittedly, he used to try virtually every new miracle additive on that car - and it was apparently none the worse for wear. (These add ons included the infamous toilet paper oil filter, STP, Tufoil, etc.)

BTW, I did not notice the Oily Bob site actually deals with graphite as an additive.

Thank you for sharing anyway.

Guest Anonymous

I looked at the Bob site too. Interesting stuff. Maybe I missed something. Since one of the board's resident experts has such a high opinion of the product, did Bob do any tests on Marvel Mystery Oil laxative?

Just wondering.

TIA