• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New VIN plate question

ibjettin

I have a new VIN plate since my original one had been so worn that it was just a silver plate with numbers on it. I've contacted a few trophy shops in the area (downtown San Jose) to see if I could have the VIN engraved onto the new plate. None of them have a machine to do it.... I guess they are all computerized now and don't want to risk not stamping it in the right area (within the black box).

Where can I go?? Is there a kit to stamp on my own? Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks

brian, that is an issue i'll have to tackle someday as well. there is a new hand press at work that will stamp clean numbers, but the size and font is too small. it's used to stamp engine tags on helicopter engines. however, this particular machine has various fonts and sizes available. i was planning to investigate further when the time came.

i don't think the number wheel is cheap though, but if enough interest was available perhaps we could pool resources.

if the font and size doesn't matter to you i'd be happy to stamp your plate, or alternatively, i could stamp a piece of aluminum and snap a photo for all to see (in my infinite spare time).

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I would keep shopping. If you can find a mom & pop engraver you'll probably get it done, which is where I took mine. Chain stores can't deal with variety.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

This is just a thought, and I don't know if that guy in Norwegian country still sells the VIN plates, but he will engrave your # on the plate for you when you purchase a new plate. That's what I did when I was restoring Hugo, but I decided to leave the old original plate on there (for now at least).

Speaking of which....as long as you can read the # there's nothing wrong with the old "original" plate in my opinion.

It's easy to dress things up like new, but it takes 30+ years to wear the badge of "originality"! :-)

That goes for beltline trim, etc. on these cars. My '73tii wears lots of original parts "with honor"!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I thought about leaving the stock plate but since it was removed when I painted I figured now would be a good time to change it.

Jerry, if it's not too much trouble to shoot me over a picture I would appreciate it. You mentioned the font was pretty small on the machine at your work - any idea what size?

thanks for your replies

i've attached a photo of a sample stamping on an aluminum plate.

unfortunately the font size and type is significantly different.

looking at the manufacterer's website (google: numberall) there is a closer match "open Style Gothic, No.531", but the price of the wheel and indexing gear is $500 and change.

too bad, because once if figured this press out you can see that the numbers and alignment are very uniform.

if only there were 100 members willing to chip in $5.00

oh well, back to the drawing board...

post-260-136675790884_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Most industrial supply houses (and Harbor Freight) have steel number stamps (dies) per Blunt's illustration. The trick is to find the right height numbers; that may take a little doing but they're available.

To hand stamp 'em and keep the numbers alighed and spaced, it's fairly easy to make a jig from wood strips, then clamp plate and strips together so the wood strips are parallel with the blank space on the plate. Using the flat side of the die pressed against the strip, you can get 'em straight. Horizontal spacing is more a matter of eyeballing, or using strips of masking tape to mark where you want each number stamped. Just stamp thru the tape.

Good luck

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This is the guy in the Netherlands that makes stamped plates: http://www.bmw2002turbo.nl/2002_VIN_PLATES/2002_vin_plates.html. I got mine from him and am very pleased with it. However...it took 9 months of missing each other on email and negotiating payment terms before I got it (partially my fault...I wasn't very persistent at first).

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2