• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bye bye oxidation!

you may have read my other "hello" post and seen this picture of the 02' a few moments after its first wash in over a decade:

l_c9cfa152057d532fe46535e982cd8b9e.jpg

well,

15-20 hours of by-hand, claybar, compound polish, pre-wax polish, and wax have resulted in this:

p6180033co9.jpg

p6180034gt5.jpg

Needless to say, I'm prettty happy, despite the amount of time it took. If I'm insane enough, I may do it a second time once the car is done to try and get the paint to 100%.

Onwards now to deal with that pesky strut tower and whatever rust I find. That and a bushing for the alternator to get it seated properly so the belt shuts up. The car should be road-ready after that! There's about half a dozen little odds and ends I'll be doing though to get it where I want it.

Thanks for looking.

be sure and use urethane (replace 'em all) vs the OEM rubber. Last a LOT longer.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite