• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uruguay VIN number question

fdovargas

I do not know the complete number run, other than they start with, as you say, 177.

1770030 is (or was in 2004) owned by Pablo Acosta, Montevideo, Uruguay.

Not sure if the earlier numbers (ie 1770030) are 2002s or 1602s?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

There were 58 CKD (completely knocked down) 1600 "kits" sent to Uruguay for assembly there in June 1967; then beginning in January 1969 2002 CKD "kits" were sent to Uruguay in the following quantities:

1969--110

1970--270

1971--220

1972--100

1973--50

Shipments ceased in April 1973.

CKD cars were partially assembled (body shell complete, engine, tranny and diff assembled) and shipped to the destination for final assembly. This was usually to get around high import tarrifs on complete automobiles, and to get a country started with an automotive industry.

The factory VIN lists don't break out any unique VIN runs for the Uruguay cars--and for that matter not for the cars assembled in Portugal, South Africa or Israel, so we must assume they were simply assigned VINs in sequence with the Euro model cars being assembled in Germany at the time.

I'm sure Mobile Tradition could confirm this if you e-mailed 'em. If you find out more, please post...another little snippet of '02 trivia uncovered!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There were 58 CKD (completely knocked down) 1600 "kits" sent to Uruguay for assembly there in June 1967; then beginning in January 1969 2002 CKD "kits" were sent to Uruguay in the following quantities:

1969--110

1970--270

1971--220

1972--100

1973--50

Shipments ceased in April 1973.

Excellent Mike.

Perhaps safe to assume then, that 1770030 a '67 known to exist a few years back would be a 1600, and the higher 177XXXX VINs are 2002s.

Les

FAQ Member #17

Anyone know the VIN numbers of the BMW 2002 made in Uruguay?

below some pics, start in 177xxxx

Fernando, do you have any further info on these cars?

Are they still alive and well in Uruguay?

Any info appreciated.

Les

FAQ Member #17

prefix for both 1600s and 2002s...that would cause untold problems when ordering spare parts for the cars...

It's possible that the Uruguyan assembler simply came up with their own VIN run that didn't duplicate a known BMW AG series. My list doesn't show any 177xxxx series for '02 cars...nor is it a prefix for other contemporary BMW models (coupes, 2500/2800/Bavarias etc). Sounds like a question for our friends at Mobile Tradition...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

you might be on to something wrt stamping at the destination country.

compare the different fonts between US spec and the Uraguay VINs

the 7's and 5's are different.

post-260-13667579295985_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

In addition to Portugal and Uruguay, 02 CKDs were also produced in Belgium with specific VIN in the 17xxxxx range. I havn't found any information so far about them. I know only one surviving Belgian 1600.

Regards from Switzerland

In addition to Portugal and Uruguay, 02 CKDs were also produced in Belgium with specific VIN in the 17xxxxx range. I havn't found any information so far about them. I know only one surviving Belgian 1600.

Regards from Switzerland

1748598 ('72 2002) is a car from ETS Moorkens, Kontich, Belgium and was alive a year ago.

3689601 ('75 2002) also, supposedly, has Moorkens VIN plate, but this number is in the normal BMW VIN list!

Les

FAQ Member #17

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone! I bumped into this thread by mistake looking for some info on my VIN number, as it turns out I live here in Montevideo, Uruguay and my baby's VIN number is 1775480(REALLY Close!).

Just to ad some info on the car, it came with the very early interior and gauges, 5 Speed Getrag Tranny and a LSD im not sure at how % but it looks like an alpina wannabe.

It would be great to get more info on the car but I dont know what exactly it is I have to do to get in touch with BMW or Mobile Tradition in order to get this info, since I've got nothing on the car I'm not even sure what year this car was born, so all help here is welcome!!! Cheers!

Ok, Let her rip!

Hey Bruno, how's it going!

The keeper of the archives at BMW Mobile Tradition is Andreas Harz.

Andreas.Harz@partner.bmw.de

Email your VIN to him and he will tell you what they know, usually the date of manufacturer and identity of the importer. You might also ask Andreas if they know any history of the Uruguay 02s (assembler, special equipment lists, etc.)

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

Hey Andy!!

Thnx for the info, I contacted Andreas and this is what he said:

"Dear Mr Demuro,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we have no records about the CKD/SKD cars and we also have no number ranges for these. But according to the large gap in our german built BMW 2002 cars, I would expect, that VIN 1775480 is one of those. Obviosly a company named Krawehl in Hamburg delivered the parts sets to Uruguay and the company Convex S.A. in Montevideo put them together. We hope, this is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

BMW Group

Andreas Harz

Mobile Tradition

Group Archives / ST-1General Archive Services"

I guess now im gonna go and see if i can find something in the company they gave me, so untill then, no news!

Thanks again Andy for the contact info!

Ok, Let her rip!

It's too bad Andreas didn't have a little more, but at least you have the importer and assembler.

If you are real lucky, might find a local BMW dealer that was around in the 60s, with the old paperwork boxed in an attic (it's okay to dream)...

In case there is any relationship between US and Uruguay model-year features, then the article in this thread may help you narrow down the production date:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,294277

Good luck and take care!

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002