• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 mintgrun MSII M20 conversion

mikekoch

My 75 project has taken a completely different direction. The M10 and e21 5sp has been sold and replaced with an 88 M20B25 and Getrag 260. See my blog for pictures and information:

http://www.xanga.com/thedoctor02

Some quick background details:

- M20B25, bone stock

- 325i manifold and fuel rail, 19lb version 3 injectors, breathing through a big K&N filter and custom intake pipe

- EDIS 6 ignition

- MS-II v3 and Innovate LC-1

- Volvo 240 front calipers and vented e21 rotors

- VW jetta rear calipers and MK1 vw front rotors for the back

- tii MC

enginetransleft.jpg

Thanks

Mike

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I thought about that, and about adding on to the existing tunnel and reinstalling it. It's going to be a lot of work either way. As soon as I get the tranny to driveshaft vertical alignment worked out a decision will need to be made as to which is the slightly smaller pain in the ass. It will be fun anyway.

Engine is in for measurement now.

Mike

Heya Mike,

Your blog is looking good. I got to wondering about your tranny tunnel. How hard would it be to take a battery sawzall to the junkyard and whack the tunnel out of an E30? Seems like it would be a big step forward from fabricating one out of scratch...

TK

Engine and trans went in on Sunday. It took two tries. First time in I realized that what would be the sensor mounts on an e car wanted to be where the throttle linkage is. Had to yank it out and cut that off, then stuff it back in and trim some additional metal from around the edges of the tunnel.

The 260 will work out eventually but there is definitely more work required to get it in versus one of the 24x Getrag versions. No regrets though.

Full story here: http://www.xanga.com/thedoctor02

firstinstall3.jpg

firstinstall4.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to see an M20 swapper using that COP setup. Looks like you're doing a great job using that big tranny as well.

I was just driving my m20 2002 last night and despite lack of tune, it puts a smile on my face. Its incredibly smooth and torquey, just what a 2002 needs.

I saw on your blog that your having issues with the edis wheel. I found a way to mount mine that did not require a lathe and still cleared my radiator. It ended up being perfectly balanced too. I used a very small wheel from a certain early 90's thunderbird. and welded mounting nuts to a shortned eta power steering pulley (lined up its concentricity by eye since the wheel and the pulley are nearly the same diameter). The sensor mount was tricky though because the mount had to reach pretty far to meet the small wheel.

I'm glad to see an M20 swapper using that COP setup. Looks like you're doing a great job using that big tranny as well.

I was just driving my m20 2002 last night and despite lack of tune, it puts a smile on my face. Its incredibly smooth and torquey, just what a 2002 needs.

I saw on your blog that your having issues with the edis wheel. I found a way to mount mine that did not require a lathe and still cleared my radiator. It ended up being perfectly balanced too. I used a very small wheel from a certain early 90's thunderbird. and welded mounting nuts to a shortned eta power steering pulley (lined up its concentricity by eye since the wheel and the pulley are nearly the same diameter). The sensor mount was tricky though because the mount had to reach pretty far to meet the small wheel.

Nice work Mike I'm doing the same thing M20 and 265 into a mintgrun 75 former automatic shell, one thing to watch when you fad up the tranny tunnel to firewall section is the clearance for your foot on the gas petal it's real tight. I'm up in Bellevue and would like to take a look if i'm down south someday.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Nice work Mike I'm doing the same thing M20 and 265 into a mintgrun 75 former automatic shell, one thing to watch when you fad up the tranny tunnel to firewall section is the clearance for your foot on the gas petal it's real tight. I'm up in Bellevue and would like to take a look if i'm down south someday.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

The COP stuff is straight forward, completely unnecessary, something I have enjoyed working on so far. Still need to devise a way to properly check my timing. There is one open outlet on the wire guide that I'll probably use to hang a lead out from the 1/6 pair, and mod my timing light to work with an alternate signal.

With the EDIS wheel, have that sorted now, just need to timing it tack it in place. The first issue was caused by ignorance on my part (can't machine the balancer as it is a rubber/steel sandwich) and the last two have been misunderstandings at the machine shop. I did some tedious work with a jewelers file the other night and now have the wheel sitting properly flush with a modified PS pulley. Took a while but it's finally done.

Can't wait to drive this car with the M20 in it!

Mike

The COP stuff is straight forward, completely unnecessary, something I have enjoyed working on so far. Still need to devise a way to properly check my timing. There is one open outlet on the wire guide that I'll probably use to hang a lead out from the 1/6 pair, and mod my timing light to work with an alternate signal.

With the EDIS wheel, have that sorted now, just need to timing it tack it in place. The first issue was caused by ignorance on my part (can't machine the balancer as it is a rubber/steel sandwich) and the last two have been misunderstandings at the machine shop. I did some tedious work with a jewelers file the other night and now have the wheel sitting properly flush with a modified PS pulley. Took a while but it's finally done.

Can't wait to drive this car with the M20 in it!

Mike