• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Face lift - 1602 to 2002 grill

Chris_1602

the only difference between the two is the appearance.

personally, there's just something special about those all-silver grills on a 1600. when they're shiny they're hard to beat.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I'm planning to upgrade my 1602's grill into 2002. Can I just put '02 grill to the existing car or do I need to modify it somehow?

Or...put the 1600 grills on your M2...

D

post-169-13667579340076_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Wait a minute. Isn't there a size difference in the diameter of the headlights in early 1602's and 2002's? This may be just with the 2002's, but later models have 7 inch diameters as where I know the earlier one's are smaller, but I'm not sure of the size. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure with 1602's.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Like the way it is now, but I bought a new front bumper from a 2002 and it just look a bit off. I'm in Indonesia and it's just hard to find the right matching parts, maybe I gotta ship it from US or Europe.Anyway, anybody can confirm whether it's the same cut (headlight) as 2002s?

Like the way it is now, but I bought a new front bumper from a 2002 and it just look a bit off. I'm in Indonesia and it's just hard to find the right matching parts, maybe I gotta ship it from US or Europe.Anyway, anybody can confirm whether it's the same cut (headlight) as 2002s?

Guest Anonymous

Wait a minute. Isn't there a size difference in the diameter of the headlights in early 1602's and 2002's? This may be just with the 2002's, but later models have 7 inch diameters as where I know the earlier one's are smaller, but I'm not sure of the size. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure with 1602's.

of the '02 series - North American spec cars all used 7" sealed beams due to the highly restrictive lighting laws in place in the US at that time, while cars delivered in other parts of the world used either sealed beams, lights that fit in the same bucket as sealed beams, or light units with flush lenses and separate reflectors like those you'd see today in a correct, original Turbo.

The primary difference in headlights on the early cars was the switch from deep to shallow bezel units that occurred somewhere around 70-71. From what I've read in various places, the US market was so large that US lighting laws virtually dictated the design criteria for headlight size, shape and location on any model that a foreign manufacturer intended to export clear through the 80's.