• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are rusty cars really this expensive?

I found a 1971 2002 for sale in Sonoma CA recently and since it is close I decided to go take a look and see what condition it was in, I got over there and found a car with significant rust, minor body damage all over, some not too large but significant damage in the rear and a bad engine, cracked windshield, 4" or so hole in the passenger inner fender, everything generally worn out and registration due in the next month.

I made what I felt was a reasonable offer and the seller tells me he already has an offer for $1000! I couldn't believe that these cars are selling for that ammount, if it was rust free I could easily see well more than that figure, however it would cost several thousand dollars to repair the rust at a shop, and probably over a thousand dollars in parts to do it yourself, say it ain't so!

I reposted this from Roadfly since it looked a bit quiet over there, I'm just geting back to tinkering with these cars after a few years off and this looked like a more active forum now.

Too many BMWs and always looking for more!

NUMBER ONE -you should be over at the Big Stock

Car Road Race Today cheering on

CT. Native Boris Said

TWO - it ain't 1927 when cars were $27.95

THREE - the owner is probably "..... bad engine,

cracked windshield" - just like his windshield.

$27.95 cars are now $150 ....$500 not running,

full of holes, no seats to sit on, and won't pass

Road Use Inspection. hAPPY hUNTING

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Stock car? You mean NASCAR? Those havn't been stock cars for decades! Spec cars! And the drivers must be screaming right about now...

I gotta turn right? WTF? How can it be? This isn't fair, I want my mommy!" (sucks thumb)

I wasn't expecting $27.95, but the engine isn't going to get any better by its self and cancer dosn't work backwards! The only thing it has going for it is round lights and current registration!

i've bought a couple bay area 02's as you described. last one i bought was a 75 that the girl wanted $1000. it was a fred flinstone car. was able to drive it from pt. reyes to tiburon while looking at the road pass by on the passenger side. didn't even have the accelerator pedal. had to 'wing it' with what was left of the accelerator rod. it has a good engine and very good brakes but that's about all, plus a pre-76 VIN tag. she was resigned to only getting $200 out of me for it. i didn't force her to accept it.

i bought a very nice '73 automatic with blown engine, but NO RUST and straight body for $400

i bought a fair original '71 with blown engine but complete for $200. it's in the project blog as my early '71 02.

my other project blog car is a late '71 with rebuilt engine and little rust for $800.

that should give you an idea of the local market if you keep your eyes open.

i almost forgot, ibjettin *gave* me his rusty, crusty 73tii shell. we exchanged a few items in the process but it was generally gratis. although there are no free lunches in this world. it cost me $360 in back registration fees to title it. i was also able to trade a spare tii engine block to get the matching one for this shell.

i suppose i have enough projects to last me into senility....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

be categorized as a restoration project in the midewst or northeast, but still that would be too much even around here for a rusty non-runner. Doesn't even sound like much of a parts car unless it has some significant aftermarket goodies.

And in CA with all the rust-free machinery around, waaaaay too much.

I've got my eye on a structurally rust-free but nasty looking squarelight...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You should be happy that some chump offered that much, it will help ease the temptation of trying to save a rust bucket. 1k won't get you much these days. Not sure what your budget is, but I would save my coin and look for a better starting point. Spending the money up front on a nicer car will be MUCH cheaper in the long run than going the rustoration route. nice cars are out there, have patience grasshopper.. ... good luck p.s. If you want a second opinion etc. I'm in your neighborhood :)

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Thanks, I'm glad to know that '02s aren't that expensive! I decided to pull an old black plate non sunroof car out of the barn, I named it RB, or Rust Bucket when I got it 5 years ago, but it has less rust and better body than that Sonoma car!

I really wanted the car in Sonoma because I already have an engine (several!) and a couple 5 speeds so with a good long days work I could have an economy driver, but I'm, afraid that the buyer either doesn't know squat about '02s or bought it sight unseen since the seller was misrepresenting the condition of the car :(

Minor rust= holes I could stick several fingers through

No cracked windshield mentioned

Ect

I would have been able to repair the damage to that car with all the spare parts that I have, but I won't pay extra because I can, the parts still have value and I spent good money aquering them.

Guest Anonymous

round-light car in Sacramento yesterday that's for sale for $2800 or offer - Manila (very light beige), light tan interior, one tiny crack in the two piece dash, decent seats and door panels, good glass and trim, short bumpers, no carpets or console, late steel wheels. I wrote down the vin & phone number, but left it in the other car - let me know if you're interested in contacting the guy and I'll get the number for you.

At the same house, there's what appears to be a Bristol gray (or maybe BADLY oxydized silver) round light car with bottlecaps at the back of the driveway - couldn't tell if it's a 2002 or 1600, sunroof or not......

I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to buying old BMW's

I bought my 74 tii at an estate sale for $750 in Los Angeles county

My former 73 Bavaria was found in a gargage where it had sat for 11 years, I bought that one for $750. I fixed it up (Weber's, Bilstein's, 5 speed conversion, etc..) and sold that one back in March. I miss that car

My other former 73 Bavaria was an original So Cal Blue plate car in a rare color (ceylon). The previous owner pulled the original 3.0L and automatic and dropped in the drive train from a 79 E24 complete with 4 speed manual gearbox and converted the car to EFI. The Bavaria came with genuine 14" Alpina wheels. I drove it home for $400. I still have the Alpina's and John Barlow now owns this Bavaria.

My 70 E3 2800 Euro spec was found on the streets on LA for $300. It only has 102K original KM's on the car and is rust free.

My 91 318i 4 door M42 motor one owner car with 118K was bought last year in LA for $1.2K. Owner couldn't figure out why the car would always die going down the road and the problem would never happen when he took it to the shop. Problem turned out to be a bad ECU. My $450 91 318i parts car supplied the parts to fix this one, along with the new Traction TA's, new battery, stereo, muffler, interior, etc...

I think the owner is smoking crack asking that much for a car that he should be paying you to take away for him. Keep looking, trust me, their are some great deals out there.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Jerry-

Thanks for the heads up on the actual prices paid, that is a huge help! Were these CL cars? It sounds like the market hasn't changed much in the past few years.

Johnhup- I grew up in a polaris '69 :) Looks like a sweet project!

Mike- My sentiments exactil, he says it runs, but major compression issues, so it needs an engine untill proven otherwise :)

Napa02- What color is your car? I'll keep an eye out, I usually drive a white 2001 Chevy diesel or an '84 Country homes Vanagon camper with a smashed drivers side (damn stop sign runners!)

Barry- Thanks, but I'm on a budget, I already purchaced a newer truck and a brand new tractor this year, no more big expences allowed untill next year!

I know it is not a roundie, but I bought a very clean bodied 75 from a guy here in denver for 1200 bucks... it hadnt ran for 4 years and when i took her home i rebuilt the carb and she runs fine now.... there are a ton of cars out here in denver that are for sale.... some of them are rusty some are clean as can be. I looked for over 2 months trying to find my 02. and am still looking, but the one i have now is a really clean example of a rust free car for me.