• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on excess wires and tach now works

jerry

i did the search. i've reviewed my haynes manual and perused the factory manual.

first off, the wiring diagram is too friggin small for my middle-aged eyes now. i'm trying to locate item 'c' on No.41 of the diagram for the tachometer.

i was under the impression the tach runs off the black wire connected to the condenser.

i have two stray wires in the engine compartment back firewall, yellow-black and green-yellow.

i found out the hard way that one, if not both, are hot as the engine died when one of them touched the valve cover.

there is no smog stuff on this car and i returned the single barrel solex. it had the weber from the PO.

it's my late 71 02 project car.

what get's me is that looking at my wiring diagram the only green-yellow (GN-GE, auf deutch) is within the cabin only and pertains to the blower motor. Huh????? (btw, my new blower motor blows like a hurricane).

i don't THINK, these wires are spliced into position.

anyone have ideas on either these wires or the dead tach?

btw, got the engine to run smoothly after replacing distributor and timing with light and tweaking carb.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

thanks for the help. i reviewed the references and decided to pull the instrument cluster. i had the wires in the right places, but apparently, the black/white paired connection must of come loose during installation. reconnected and i now have a functioning tachometer.

as to what those other hot wires in the engine bay are, will remain a mystery for now. they are taped for safety.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

i have two stray wires in the engine compartment back firewall, yellow-black and green-yellow.

what get's me is that looking at my wiring diagram the only green-yellow (GN-GE, auf deutch) is within the cabin only and pertains to the blower motor. Huh????? (btw, my new blower motor blows like a hurricane).

GN-GE also goes from the Horn Relay to the Horn(s) and inside the cabin from Hazard Switch to Turn Indicator switch.

SW-GE from Wiper Speed Swicth to Wiper Motor and Fuse Box to driver side Headlamp

Not sure if the above is correct for your '71 but it is for my '74 (built late '73).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17