• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early seat belt orientation

BLUNT

now im wondering if my 70 is supposed to have those grab handle thingys that hang from the b pillars?

My '70 does have grab handles on the b pillars. Also, If you still have questions about the seatbelt mounting, I do know a guy here in S Mpls that has those style belts in his car. Email me if you need his number, I'm sure that he'd be happy to show you his car.

-paul

thanks paul, i have the belts figured out. i punched a hole in my b pillar vinyl like a dumb ass looking for a threaded boss but instead i found a small rectangular hole. im thinking the straps mount to this with maybe a special nut. do you know what i need to secure some straps? i guess i should be looking in the etk

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

The Klippan spaghetti belts were an early attempt at sholder belts. While a modern belt will cinch down and restrain you in a collision, the Klippans merely ~entangled~ the driver, regardless of the situation. I think these belts were the reason so many people felt that the seatbelt would kill them as they couldn't exit the car after a crash. With the Klippans this is very true.

BTW: My wife always liked those Klippan cat cartoon characters.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 12 years later...
On 7/6/2007 at 3:31 AM, mike said:

The buckle end obviously fastens to the threaded hole in the driveshaft tunnel.

The long piece has one end fastened to the threaded fitting at the base of the B pillar, and the other fastened to the threaded hole under the rear quarter window at about its midpoint. And next to this fastening point should be a small black plastic hook designed to hold the seat belt clip so it doesn't interfere with closing the door.

When you install, make sure the clip (the part that fits into the buckle) is oriented correctly so it'll insert into the buckle without twisting the belt.

A most inconvenient setup. You can use these existing mountings, plus one more (a hole drilled in the rear seat riser to hold the inertia reel) to install inertia reel belts in your early '02.

cheers

mike

Reviving a super old thread here. Mike you speak of the small hooks that hold the buckle when not in use. There doesn't seem to be a reference point on my door cards (rear) as to where this hook should be mounted. Have you any further info on this?

Thanks

The hooks were part of the plastic covering over the mounting bolt.  I attached a couple of pictures.  The screwdriver points to where the hook was.  It broke off years ago.  I hardly used them even when they were there.  

ADC60C8C-8105-4781-8DBA-03E18BAF39DF.jpeg

3E9ABFB0-7850-4F58-98F3-6096210172B6.jpeg

• Like 1

The later one that anchored to the B pillar had a revised cover, the hook broke off that one too.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.