• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Question... Blunt?

H_Krix

Blunt, I remember a while back you asking about putting sealant on the metal shim plates that "seal" the back part of the steering box opposite the input shaft. I had 5 plates in mine, and reinstalled them in the same order they were removed.

The box sat out for about 3 weeks with fluid in it, no leaks whatsoever. I recently put the subframe back in and bolted the steering coupler up to both the steering shaft and the steering box. After this, I've noticed a VERY small leak from the box, but a leak nonetheless.

I'm guessing that the steering shaft is pressing against the input shaft, which is in turn opening up a small gap in the backside of my steering box where those little metal shims are. The steering guibo is slightly distorted right now (you can see the shaft is pressing into the steering box), so I'm thinking I need to re-align it to back off some of the pressure. My question is: should I have used some sort of sealant to "glue" those plates in there?

When I took the box apart, there was nothing like that to be found. Also when the box sat out "un-loaded" there was no leakage. Is this leak something I should be expecting if the alignment is off?

Any help would be really appreciated. I do NOT want to take that damn thing back out again...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

did you install the Garlock Seals (plastic ones) square with the edges, check for any burrs or gashes that may locally disturb the metal (i had to file a small bump off the lowest seal bore due to damage from the pitman arm puller).

additionally, i use some Permatex white paste sealer on the threads of the bolts during assembly as some of those holes are through holes. haven't had a leak on the two i've installed, so far.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Yeah Jerry, pretty much the only place I didn't use Permatex was on those shims.

All the plastic gaskets are brand new, and seat flush. I can see where the leak is coming from, and its out of the backplate... I'm thinking I may need to re-seal it, but I'm going to try pushing the coupling back to relieve the pressure and tightening up the backplate bolts. Hopefully I don't have to yank it out.

How hard is that with it in the car, anyways? Ive never taken one out with the subframe in...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

mines still dry so i cant help you but in looking at it i certainly wouldnt like to try and remove it with all that crap in the way. im crossing my fingers

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

yep, sounds like you've got a handle on the cause. you shouldn't need any sealant on the shim plates.

i use a small cold chisel to wedge open the couplings by tapping it in the slot, inorder to seat them onto the splined shaft. use a little never-sieze on the splines too.

except for the fact that the tightening bolt will only fit if alighned with the narrowed section of the steeringbox input shaft; i'm wondering if the steering column is too far forward. i believe there is some forward-aft alignment under the steering wheel area.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa