• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this gem worth?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, i dont think its a 71 as they had round tail lights amongst other things. That would be a 74 or later. It looks interesting though as it has the european spec bumpers which werent normal in the US.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

? guy told me it was a 71 and the car has some french on it on the inside of the front fenders. The owner said something about how it was a european version or something. I'm just starting to get into 2002's. kinda been lurking the forum for a few weeks without a member name just trying to find some stuff out and i finally went out to take a look at one.

2002 VW passat

WANTED: BMW 2002

It depends on the extent of that rust. The rear panel looks really bad, but its the more structural parts you need to look at.

I'm guessing its a 74, since the exhaust exits on the right. If its structurally solid, you could give a couple hundred bucks for it and take the time to get it running condition and/or restore the thing. The real investment isn't the purchase price, its the time and money you put into it to get it where you want it.

If its a euro car, as it appears from the bumpers, turn signals, etc., then its a bit more special than most US-spec cars.

If you don't want to put any time or money into it, then you could atleast sell the bumpers for a little bit of cash.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

That looks like a serious parts car. The rust on the outside = lots of rust on the inside.... If you can get it cheap it is worth it for parts. What are you looking to spend?

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Serious. I was going to offer him $200 cause i need to trailer it home 78 miles. And my brother was saying less so.... How much does an engine rebuild cost on a 2002 cause i can handle the clutch replacement.

I'd doubt the engine is seized, its probably just electrical/rust related problems keeping it from starting, since it got parked due to the bad clutch.

But if you can rebuild it yourself, you could do it real quick. If you gotta pay somebody to rebuild the engine, then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

there's a couple neat items on it that i can see.

3 out of 4 rims look like Ronals

Dash appears to be an 8 out of 10 in condition w/ no fasten seat belt sign

steering wheel looks neat

the motor may or may not be terminal. you'd be surprised what can be made to turn over again.

pull up the carpet or look underneath for rust to determine whether it's the sum of its parts or a project.

i think $200-400 is in the ballpark.

BUT. if you are new to 02's, unless you have space, patience, mechanical leanings, and spending money, don't start the hunt with a parts car.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa