• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wooohooo Finally painted and color sanded!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, I don't know if you remember but I posted pics up of my car a while ago still in the body work stages and well here it is now... in fresh Malaga paint. Summer Vacation is finally allowing me to get this car back on the road. I'm pretty excited. I converted everything to euro bumpers, shaved side markers, shaved lower mouldings, shaved all the seams that are between the front nose and fenders and the seams that are between the rear panel and quarter panels, obviously everything was welded and not bondo'd up. I don't know yet if I'm going to refinish the wheels or get some new ones, still haven't decided. I still need to pick a name for her, any suggestions?

75primer.jpg

Malaga02001.jpg

Krauts002.jpg

Krauts006.jpg

wow, that looks great.

Please tell me you've painted a car before or that you were under close supervision. i'm feeling really inadequate right about now when considering my first attempt to paint a car.....

Malaga is one of those colors that have really grown on me. excellent job.

cheers

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys. Malaga is one of the hardest colors because it is so deep and dark, just as hard as painting a black car... in my opinion. The guy at the paint shop told me my body work is in the top 5% of the cars that come in and out of there, that he's seen within the past 20 years, so I'm pretty proud of myself, and he said that at my age (22) and this being my first car getting painted, the next ones will come out even nicer. I had the car sent out to a a paint shop that my friends dad referred me to. I had them shoot it in a single stage with 2 coats of clear on top of it, it makes a huge difference. Then I brought it home and waited a week to color sand and buff the new paint, followed by a hand glaze. I still haven't waxed the car yet. I do know that if you're going to be painting a car yourself, paint it in a 2 stage system. The base coat goes down way easier than a single stage system. Clear Coat isn't hard either, if you end up with any drips, runs or even bugs/insects in your clear coat you can obviously block them out with 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit followed by buffing.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, Grace is nice but I was thinking Gloria, or Layla, two of my favorite songs as well from way before my time, heheh. We'll see. Thanks for all the kind remarks, it really means alot coming from others who know what these cars are and appreciate them, in any shape or condition.

-Cyrus

Guest Anonymous

Bill, the link to your email doesn't work, it directs me back to the faq's homepage. My email address is bustedknuckles@sbcglobal.net

-Cyrus