• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldering electric wires - help/ info needed

dubois

I got a 30 watt soldering gun and some solder from Radio Shack (maybe that's my problem) and attempted to solder some electric wires, and the stuff just doesn't flow, it kind of lumps up and it doesn't stick all that well, so most of it just falls off. Definitely something is wrong! TIA

FAQ Member # 91

almost sounds like the wires aren't getting hot enough to cause the solder to adhere properly.

are you holding the soldering gun tip under the wires while applying the solder to the top of the wires, thereby having the heated wires melt the solder?

is the solder designed for electrical connections? i made this mistake once.

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

gwb has a point.

Heat the wires with the iron and melt the solder onto the wires. you can also hold the iron to the wires and melt solder onto the tip and the wires at the same time. This helps heat (conduction) the wires and flows the solder. Watch the insulation of the wires burn.

Don't forget to burn yourself/carpet/clothing while your at it.

John

EDIT: Watch for dripping solder, it burns too.

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

first requirement is CLEAN cu wire. swab with methanol or isopropyl alcohol to clean any residue if you suspect oil contamination.

apply a dab of flux to cu wire.

apply your solder tip to the cu wire and allow it to heat up then touch the solder to the heated wire. the solder should wick up towards the colder part of the wire.

correction: the solder will wick FROM the colder area TOWARDS the hotter area.

this method works great for copper plumbing too, btw

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Also helpful is to tin the wire before soldering it to the other piece. Once there is solder on the wire as descibed above it will flow much much easier when you join the pieces. Don't try and join the bare wire, it'll take a lot more heat and could lead to a cold joint if it moves.

Mike

here's a good website that helped me when i had to re-learn how to solder for my VW... i hadn't touched it for a decade and after practicing with a couple spare wires for a little bit, had no issues...

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/solder/

note that they website calls it "Resin" core, though it should actually be "Rosin" core, i believe...

gif_dancinggir.gif :::Chris::: -> '04 VW GTI 1.8T ("Squeakers") -> 1975 BMW 2002 ("Gir")

I like to forget to slide a pice of the stuff on before I make butt splices so I can redo the joint at least once. It also serves to clean up termination ends as well.

My tips:

Solder has different temp ratings. The low-temp stuff is fine for electrical wiring, and will make your job alot easier.

Get a tin of flux.

I don't like soldering guns because the tips are large and bendy. I like the little pointy irons so you can direct the heat to a specific point, and apply alot of pressure too.

I use a blow torch for soldering whenever I can get away with it.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

with a base, reticulating arms and two alligator clips, and two magnifying lenses.

It it the alligator clips that I find helpful to hold the wires while I solder.

All of the above tips are spot on.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5