• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else amazed by all the attention ?

scottt

This is the first summer I've had my 73 on the road, and I am amazed by the amount of attention this car gets. Yesterday a guy drove by me and almost broke his neck checking out my car ( I'm pretty sure he wasn't checking me out ) the weird part is he was driving a brand new AMG E63. The day before I was right behind a Carrera 4 and a Boxster S and a guy standing on the sidewalk points at me and yells " Nice car ". I think it looks nice and all, but I'm not used to the attention.

Does this happen to everyone ?

Scott

73 Atlantik

post-1615-13667580166845_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never even driven my '02, but I've noticed this. One the way home with it on the trailer, I stopped to get gas and someone at the gas station (who was apparently a big BMW fan) asked me about it and took some pictures with his camera phone... :)

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

Guest Anonymous

ENJOY... It happens to all of us!!!!

About two weeks ago two young guys driving a 50ish Chevy almost caused an accident on I-75 (around Miramar Pkwy) from looking at my tii.

Happens in every parking lot, all the time.

Roy in Miami

I agree these cars of ours get too much attention & it's fun.

Patina in Inka Orange gets spotted from blocks away.Hard to hide..

On every drive the thumbs up,hey what year is that car,great color,and

My favorite."I had a 1600 Alpina in 69"and this lawyer goes on thru his coupes,sedans M-5 now he's an AMG enthusiast.oh well.

If you are 40 and over they are like VW Beetles...everyone has a story

or a friend that had one."Is it fast"all I can say is,it was in 72 there are too many 400+h.p. cars out there...but this little orange car handles really well.

Thanks

JonathanBMWtii6-24-07side1.jpg

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

happens all the time. i've had

people follow me for miles until i

stop and inquire about the car or

ask if i want to sell it. i even had

someone follow me and navigate

to all sides of the car taking pictures while going down the freeway

(not too keen on that but i'll take it as a compliment).

(o=00=o)

Pre-Yuppie BMW cars....not the heavy over-optioned autos the brand has become.In this city the same thing ,age race,sex,all seem to appreciate or are at least amused by our little bombs.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

I used to get it all the time with my 2002. :-(

Now with the e30 I hear from time to time - "Look at that old BMW"...

I shake my head thinking about how nice & new my 89 325is is compared to my old rusty 02...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Glad it's not just me, at first I thought I had a booger on my face or something. As I'm way past 40, I can relate to the VW bug analogy.

The best one was Sat afternoon, in the grocery store parking lot. A woman walks up and say's she was just telling her 6 year old son that that was a 2002. He says " Mom that car is way older than a 2002"

Mom guessed 73 correctly though.

I've owned an 02 since 1987 and yes they get lots of attention ..But what amazes me the most is when young children notice them.. I'm talking 4 and 5 year olds..must remind them of their toy cars !

Has anyone else noticed that people driving newer Bimmers don't even give the 02 a second glance?

I find the "rubbernecking" hilarious. I think it's worse here in the Midwest, as there really arent alot of 02's around. I've had people follow me home, make reckless u-turns and plead with me to sell it to them. What's even funnier is half the time the first question out of their mouth is "what kind of car is that?" Bizarre man!

I had an older gentleman one time talk to me at a gas station; was going on about how he had a 68/9 camaro and how it had oodles of hp and his roommate had an 02 and how the camaro used to just blow the doors of the bmw...at this point i was like cool man, then he totally switched and goes "but all it took was a set of turns,and it was over..." Said it was still one of the best handling cars he had ever ridden in.

Tristan

1970-resto/mod =money drain

1973 Charmonix, mhh clean

GO COUGS