• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else amazed by all the attention ?

scottt

The ONE night that I drove my 02 I was getting gas and some kids pulled up and both driver and passenger were telling me I have a killer car. I smiled and said thanks guys, I appreciate hearing that!

They pulled away still checking it out, I finished pumping my gas and 5 minutes later it was dead on the side of the road (broken k-pump belt)... Yeah, killer car...

I look forward to driving it again... One day ;)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinda fun, isn't it? I used to think it was because I was so attractive...

Even here in the Bay Area, it's rare to see an '02 like my Polaris '74tii daily driver. The big bumpers, E30 basketweaves and lowered stance tend to confuse others drivers into thinking it's a much newer car. While cruising down 101 or I-280 I get a lot of looks and a few challenges by the ricers who just want to race someone, anyone, through traffic.

I usually leave them alone (repeat: *usually*).

Because of his vintage appearance, "Orange Julius" get a lot more looks, particularly from other 60s and 70s foreign car drivers: Minis, Alfas, Datsun Zs, etc.

At times, when I'm driving late at night, I might caravan with an M3, Porsche or Ferrari.

Can't seem to stop anywhere for fuel without someone asking about it, or telling me a story about how they or their friend had one "and did some kinda crazy stuff in it at college" or just wanting to have a look at it.

Last summer's trip across the continent yielded quite a number of comments about the "ugly color" ("Is that original?"), "tiny" wheels and tires and "Wut kinda mile-idge ya get widdat?"

If I take it into The City, every couple in The Castro compliments me on "how nice it is" and every woman in Bernal Heights wants to buy it.

AT BMW of San Francisco or Sonnen BMW in San Rafael, none of the salesmen know what kind of car it is...

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

What makes my day is when young kids will look & smile, saying: "Cool car!" They're not thinking of $$$, or status -- they just like it. The 2002 is interesting to them in today's SUV/crossover vehicle world. Like other iconic vehicles the '02 manages to do a lot with less; i.e. it's great fun, it's a great value, it makes sense, it's reliable, all w/out overkill. It's a true classic that kids will naturally notice and admire.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

After a brief shopping trip in my "green monster" my wife an I were driving down the road in my neighborhood to my street and 7 or 8 teenaged kids are walking together doing the typical stuff. So as we drive by some young girl yells out "NICE CAR!!!!". So I look over to my wife and smile and say "see, thats why I love this car" and proceed to tell her how that that was so important. Anyway, thats it, the new buzz word in my house is now NICE CAR!!

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Happens all the time, even in the Bay Area where there are a good number of 02's. It gets more attention than my E46 M3! Also, I take it to car shows and amongst all the Ferraris and such people still come up to my 1600 all day and chat with me about the car. Amazing following, yet prices stay low? Very odd, though they are rising a bit every year. Now that BMW is a leading brand the value should increase more rapidly.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

I'll chime in:

I think people wonder why I have this big grin on my face! Gee, gosh darn it, I just can't help myself....

"If you owned one you'd understand" from an old '02 Ad somewhere!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Having a RHD Touring really gets you noticed.

I had the same interest back in 1973 when I owned my first '02. At that time in the UK, you could go for weeks and not see another '02.

I used to get a seat and a cup of tea at the BMW dealership then too. When the E21 came out I never got another cup of tea off them, and usually had to stand and wait!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I find the "rubbernecking" hilarious. I think it's worse here in the Midwest, as there really arent alot of 02's around. I've had people follow me home, make reckless u-turns and plead with me to sell it to them. What's even funnier is half the time the first question out of their mouth is "what kind of car is that?" Bizarre man!

" I've had people follow me home, make reckless u-turns and plead with me to sell it to them."

i didnt think it was wreckless kyle and a simple "sorry its not for sale" would have done. you didnt have to get all uppity

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I had two guys last week offer to buy mine, both were in cars worth enough cash ( new Jag and MB ) that I don't think they were joking.

I think I'm going to start spitting out a 15k asking price, if they bite I'll build another one.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

We went to a movie in Yellow Springs this eve. As we were driving through town, a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids looked at my '02. One called out: "THAT'S a small car!!" I will take that as a compiment. I never wanted a HUMVEE.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Guest Anonymous

Hate to be a curmudgeonly spoil sport, but some of the attention gets old quick. I have experience with many different vintage cars, including several 02's. For me, a little bit goes a long way.

I have been pulled over by law enforcement to get a better look at the car. I guess its flattering, but flashing light don't make me happy unless they're on a slot machine. I once found a running board on the ground when several people thought it would be fun to stand on it for a picture without concern for their collective weight (not an 02).

Then there are the fingerprints and lipstick smudges of folks that have to peak into the glass for a look inside. Or how about someone who tries to show others how "cooawl" the "blue tinted glass" exterior mirror is, by rotating it like it was a top hoping everyone can see.

I am not sure why, but I have even had people stop and ask if they could sit in the car to "see what its like." That same day we had someone ask us if we couldn't wait for his wife to get out of the ladies room so he could show her the car.

I guess its the price of being good looking, err I mean driving interesting cars. nyuk nyuk nyuk

Just after I got my '02 home from CA, I drove it over to the local ricers speed shop because it's the only place in town that carries MTL. I walk in the front door and nobody's inside, but I hear alot of voices coming from the garage in back. I grab a couple qts of the MTL, and poke around awhile. Still nobody, and it has gone completely quiet out back. Frustrated I walk out into the garage and can't find a soul, but hear voices outside in the parking lot. I go out the garage door and there's about a dozen teens and 20 somethings hanging around my car. Not one of them had seen an '02 before and they loved it. "Cool car" over and over again. I couldn't agree with them more.

'71 agave daily driver

a.k.a. MYTMOJO

...6 fuses are simpler than 12