• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else amazed by all the attention ?

scottt

Yep-

I split daily driver duties between the tii and a '90 Volvo 240DL, so it's on the road a good bunch and does get noticed.

I'll get people that just cruise next to me for a few miles on 101, speeding up and then slowing down to get a good look at it's right flank. Stoplights invite comments like, "I had one in H.S, I loved it!", or just simply, "dude that is sweet, what year is it?". There's also a boy about 7-8 years old in my development that lives across the street who will run outside whenever I fire it up and just listen and stare 'til it's warmed up and I hop in take off.

The kicker was getting pulled over on 101 heading south in the early afternoon by an officer working for the "Stolen Vehicle Task Force" or some such nonsense. I believe the gentleman was interested in flaunting his purported auto knowledge to some young bucks that were ridin' w/him. He checked my registration, which did correctly state that the car was a '73. He however, was under the impression that it was a '72 'cause he thought that bumpers. grill, taillights, etc. changed in '73. DUH. So, I had to rattle off the car's production date, the day that it arrived at Max Hoffman's and all of the cosmetic differences between '73 and '74's. That didn't convince him enough, so he wound up checking all the VIN's (which required him to rub some thinner over the stamping on top of the right front fender-GRRR!!!), realized that everything matched up, and W/O TOO much egg on his face, let me go..."Have a nice day, nice car!", blah, blah blah. Oh how I love people like that....but I love my car more...

Wendell

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even in the midst of some really really spectacular cars, an Inka Touring still attracts a lot of attention. Get at least 2 or 3 "thumbs-up", smiles, or comments a day. For some reason they always ask..."what year is it??"

post-85-13667580191213_thumb.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I love the fondness that people seem to have for these cars. When I was 19 and had my first 02 I pulled into a street parking spot outside some houses. This bloke in his early 50s I'd say was just letting himself into his house; when he saw me pull up he stopped and waited for me to get out then said to me "you look after her son, that's the only car I've ever had that I've loved more than a woman!", winked and went indoors! I'll never forget that! There's not often a day that goes by when I dont get a thumbs up or an appreciative nod :D

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

Anyway, thats it, the new buzz word in my house is now NICE CAR!!

I work for a contract catering company, based at the BMW Group Australia office. My car is the only one with rust in a sea of more than a hundred current model vehicles (99% BMW) and, despite the ding in the front wing panel, it always gets comments.

The new MD saw me getting in one afternoon a few months ago and without missing a step he glances over and calls out "Nice car!" This from a man who's daily driver is a 7 series and who often leaves it behind to take his choice of any other model for a spin on his way home.

My nephews & nieces, who generally regard their uncle as a bit of dag, all agree that my car is cool, that they want one and that BMW should start making them again!

BMW 2002 - Great pulling power!

faqsignature.jpg

I went to a local car wash a few months back ... owner was all over the car, personally taking care of it (this was pre paint job, so no worries about others messing with my paint/car etc)

turns out he is lebanese .... said he fondly remembered from his youth, all the 02's running around his homeland ...

except that over there the 02's were the number one choice of the various militia's ... quick fast, good escape vehicles, handy sunroof to stand up through with ak47 etc

I don't remember if BMW ever used that as a marketing ploy?

No.1 with the Militia's?

1973 2002 tii (gone)

to Colorado a few years ago! Even two or three in train along the WVA turnpike heading to V in V causes a stir--particularly when we're passing everything in sight on the twisty sections!

Mine are daily drivers so I'm used to it--at the base gas station here at Wright-Patterson I always get comments from an AF guy who owned one in Germany...even the aliens like it (when they're let out of Hangar 9 to gas up their spacecraft)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A very good Iranian/Persian friend of mine calls my car "Jenji"

Jenji is the Persian word for prostitute.Apparently in pre-revolutionary Tehran 2002's were the prostitutes car of choice,often in Inka and Golf.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

I like to drive the cab around town just to see the squinty eyes trying to figure out what it is. I think some see the roundel and think that I just stuck it on there. I've had 50 offers(at least) to buy it. I tell em 28k and the ladies say "I have to talk to my husband, I really want it." Guys are like "thanks, that's what I needed to know. Needless to say, it is still mine and is now sporting a brand new paint job! Dang, I think I'll go get it out and drive it around today.

How much do u have it insured for?

:-o

Don't ask about mine -- it's quite under-insured.

Cheers,

Ray

I like to drive the cab around town just to see the squinty eyes trying to figure out what it is. I think some see the roundel and think that I just stuck it on there. I've had 50 offers(at least) to buy it. I tell em 28k and the ladies say "I have to talk to my husband, I really want it." Guys are like "thanks, that's what I needed to know. Needless to say, it is still mine and is now sporting a brand new paint job! Dang, I think I'll go get it out and drive it around today.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ya Ya a man-ho to you Prof.Otis.....another great Persian phrase is

cosa jovann...I'll tell you about that some time.

David,spaced your number out..shoot me a p.m.

jgm at starpower dot net

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

A few years ago I met up with a couple other '02 entusiasts at the BMW Corral at the Sebring 12-hour race. We parked together, and even when a new (just released) e46 M3 parked next to our group, all the attention was on the 30-year old 2002's. The cars just continue to appeal.

Ian

'76 M2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Ray you should buy the cab. It's probably faster than that nasty black car! Insurance, Hmmmm. This is Bentonville, Arkansas. Home of Morons caught on tape behind the wheel with cell phone texting to each other in their suvs leased BMWs and duallys. I insure it with Mr Colt 45 and a really bad temper...

Has anyone else noticed that people driving newer Bimmers don't even give the 02 a second glance?

Around Boston they all know what they are. Well maybe it's 50/50 but since there are so many BMW's around (guys in their 30's driving 3-series) they all know what a 2002 is and I would get offers all the time on my car. The only reason why I didn't sell the red one was because I didn't have the heart to take their offers of $3-5k in return for the disastrous pile of rust!!!

Around here there are lots of enthusiasts and the Boston Chapter is very strong so the cars get the attention they deserve.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

" I've had people follow me home, make reckless u-turns and plead with me to sell it to them."

i didnt think it was wreckless kyle and a simple "sorry its not for sale" would have done. you didnt have to get all uppity

Ha ha. BLUNT you are reckless, and wreckless! And too old. I can't teach you the ways of the Jedi.

Bring that Inka over when it's done and we'll talk trades.