• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake fluid preference

Guest Anonymous

I guess I am out of the loop in that I have mainly used good Ol Prestone Dot 3 or Ford HD brake fluid. I have several cars and when I flush, they all get flushed with whatever I have in bulk. Never noticed any problems although maybe thats because everything gets flushed every year or more often.

I have used Castrol, but its been a long time. Your comment about it being thicker got my attention.

Is Castrol Blau's apparent non-proclivity to leak a well known fact?

Is the clear just as thick?

Old Buick has nice hard pedal, but I nevertheless noticed one "new" wheel cylinder is in a perpetual state of sweating. Would you suggest Castol Blau as a cheap fix?

Thank you

PS I still would like to know why the synthetic fluid is to be avoided? Can it be that it is too thin or slippery? (Just a wild guess on my part).

• 4 years later...
Where would a person purchase ATE super blue in the west coast? Thanks!

Ken

You can get it here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/euro/catalog/shopcart/B136/POR_B136_BRKhyd_pg3.htm#item17

I'm still curious why c.d. doesn't like the super blue. I switched to using the Ate gold (type 200) because I installed a new fluid resevour and didn't want it to get stained by the blue, but had previously used the blue for years.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 1 year later...

reviving an old thread.... now that ATE super blau is kaput, is it worth stocking up.... Does it really eat the seals and is it worth the premium over ford dot 4?

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

no.

per the other thread on ate blue, it is the exact same stuff as readliy available ATE type 200, but without the blue die.

and neither Blue or 200 has ever eaten any seals.

whether it is worth it depends on your driving.if your 02 is just used for putting around town, than any brake fluid like prestone or castrol LMA will work perfectly well.  if you really push the car...like on a track...then you need to get higher boiling point stuff like ATE or better.

2xM3

..... 81220142156.jpg

This BMW brake fluid is a lower viscosity

brake fluid - better performance in cold weather applications, which

is satisfied by using DOT 4 ESL brake fluid.

DOT 4 ESL fluid can be used in all

BMW motorcycles and automobiles that require DOT 4 fluid.

Edited by c.d.iesel

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"