• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 '02 Restoration

Kaneda86

recently purchased a 1974 2002. going to be doing a groud up more than likely. needs alot of body work, interior and eventually some mechanical. Runs well currently. I'm using this project as an introcution to the '02 world and am coming basically zero previous experience. was referred to this board by another member on here, but not sure what his username is. long term goals are to either convert to fuel injected or to sell this project and buy a tii resto project. more in this for the fun and experience than the money.

Model: 1974 '02 Amazon Green

Workspace: Single Car Garage

going to start by listing some of the many issues and work needing to be done:

-Rust all the way through on rockers, spare tire storage

-Some rust on both rear 1/4 pannels as well as bent rear 1/4 pannels from fender accident

-rear bumper pushed in

-passengers side taillight broken

-Moonroof Broken

-Running lights not working, as well as Foglights

-Interior needs Complete workover

-Ball for Stickshift

-Gas pedal replacement

-Rewire nasty sound system job

-Exterior after body work is done needs new paint

-New license plate lights

heres some pictures pre any work done. i have many more pictures so ill try to filter out the pictures as i make posts pertaining to them.

0720071800.jpg

0720071800a.jpg

0720071800c.jpg

0720071801.jpg

0720071802.jpg

i did the same thing with a rustbucket '76. i learned as much as i could from the old beater by fixing what needed to be fixed before moving on to a less rusty (but still rusty) '74. just take your time and ask lots of questions. i wouldn't know 1/10 of what i now know had it not been for the 02faq and the great community of 02ers.

good luck!

brad.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

got the car into the garage and into the air last night. going to remove more of the boxes in the area and clear up more space so i can work around it better. you can see some of the rust on the rockers in the picture.

0723072311.jpg

trying to figure out the best way to get the body work done. im going to take it in for a bid on the body work but that will probably be a steep price to pay. trying to figure out the difference of sourcing out vs diy for a project like this.

Any references for good mechanics and body work places in the littleton, colorado area?

• 4 weeks later...

My unsolicited advice: Don't do it! Take it from someone that owns a bodyshop. My next unsolicited advice: get a cheap airplane ticket and buy a 76 in CA (or any other year) , and drive it back. You will be so ahead. I will be concerned with safety and structural integrity, even after you finish welding. It is going to take a lot of hours and resources, just ask Canada Matt, he did a rustoration.

FAQ Member # 91

never start with a rust bucket unless there is a very good reason! Maybe it has heritage, or is unique-last of a dead breed or is a special edition. A plain jane 74 is a dime a dozen in Ca with no rust issues ever. You will be way ahead now and in the future when the rust doesn't return (as it always dose it seems).