• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used BILSTEINs - Litmus test for adequate rebound rate?

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I cant find the answer on the search:

Hi All, I picked up a set of used Bilstein HDs from a fellow FAQer. They are about 20 years old and have relatively low miles, the front inserts look great (obviously) the rears look OK, but the lower rubber bushings are dry and cracking. I know they can be rebuilt by Bilstein, but the cost rivals a new set.

Questions:

#1 Is there a simple way to find out if they are really any good or not?

#2 Can the rear bushings be replaced?

Mucho thanks,

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Bilstein on rebound/compression rates (have you asked 'em?) but since they're gas shocks, they should go to full extension by themselves in a few seconds when compressed. If they do, that tells you that the gas cartridge inside is OK. Mine are doing fine after 26 years and 120k+ miles, so I'll bet yours are OK too. BTW, you should always store shocks upright, not on their sides.

As for the lower bushings--an old line auto parts store (not Auto Zone/ Advance Auto etc) should have shock bushing assortments--or you may be able to source from Bilstein or even your local Midas shop. If yours aren't visibly torn or the center steel sleeve isn't falling out, they're most likely OK. The lower rear bushings on my 69's shocks disintegrated from old age a few years ago (they date back to 1974 and are still good!) and I made new ones from sort pieces of air conditioner hose--nice thick, dense metal-reinforced rubber.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Bilstein HD Ft P30 0023 166 rebound/ 78 compression

SPT Ft P30 0025 215 rebound/ 111 Compression

HD Rr B46 0803 121 rebound/ 57 compression

SPT Rr b46 0118 235 rebound/ 66 compression

The only rub is I don't know what scale these # reference. Probably Newton Meters per second or something.

Hope this helps.