• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't get tach,gas ,or water temp guages to work(Rambling)

jlandreth

I've had this apart at least a dozen times. Everything looks nice and clean and I cleaned every connector and ground I could find. I ran a jumper wire from the tach to the - side of the coil but still nothing..When I first got the motor started nearly 2 years ago,the water temp guage worked. Having an operating gas guage and tach would be nice!.I've put nearly 500 mi. on the car in the last 3 weeks.(and I was camping in Canada for 9 of those days). After more than 20 years of stalled restoration,it's back on the road. Now it's sorting out the details. It sure is a hoot to drive.Well worth all the effort. TIA

Take each of the sensors you care about in turn, find the source on the engine/fuel tank, and ground the sensor. If you see something happening on the gauge, you know it is the sender.

If nothing happens, it is either the wiring, the gauge cluster, or a lack of voltage/ground at the cluster. Take a VOM and make sure both work (you'll need a wiring diagram), then start checking the signals as they enter the cluster. It would be very convenient if you can borrow a known good cluster to swap in.

Good luck, it's not rocket science but it may take a while to find all the sources of the problems

John N

I know this may sound too simple...but whenever all that stuff on my 76 stopped working it was always the fuse. Usually didn't blow, just needed to be "spun" in its holder or cleaned. It has something to do with that circuit I am sure. Fuse #12, unless it is older then usually #11. The Tach needs power in addition to a signal from the coil to work.

Good luck,

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

If so, the problem is in the cluster. If not, the cluster is not getting power.

The cluster gets power (ignition power) from Fuse 6 via a green/blue wire. Check for 12 volts at that wire at the instrument cluster connector with the key in the ignition (fahrt) position. If it's dead, trace it back to the fuse box. It has an intermediate stop at the wiper switch on the way. (Do the wipers work?)

This info comes from a 2002ti wiring diagram, the only diagram I have for 6-fuse cars. YMMV.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators