• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking a little coolant when radiator cap is tight

Russkcpa

There are two radiator caps available on the market. One for a radiator with no overflow, and one for a radiator with an overflow. It should specify on the packaging of a new cap as to which it is.

Either you have the one for non-overflow, or too much pressure is building up within the radiator and it has no other way to get out besides leaking down the sides, hense when looser, everything is ok. This can also cause problems with too much pressure as sooner or later, one of your hoses is going to burst as well.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

overfilled when cold?

using correct BMW cap?

uneven sealing surface inside the

radiator filling neck so the cap seal

don't seal good?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

When the cap is loose the radiator pressure doesnt build so no coolant will be forced out, my suggestion would be to pickup a radiator pressure tester and put about 15 lbs. of pressure on the system and you will be able to find your leak..

Marty

Chesapeake va.

(most likely from the overflow tube)

First off, figure out exactly where it is leaking from. There are many places that are possiblilities. I just went through the same thing, pressurized the system and found the "weep hole" at the bottom of the water pump was the culprit.

Best Regards, "Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

After filling the radiator, it will blow off excess coolant for a couple of hot/cold cycles, and then the cold level will be about 3/4 inch below the neck. Did you recently top it off?

Radiator caps are consumables, and they're cheap. Try a new BMW cap.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

If you want to spend $50 or $70 or so on a really usefull tool, get a Stant cooling system pressure tester. A model 270 as I recall. I got mine used off of Ebay.

You can pressure test the whole system which makes it easy to look for leaks from loose hose clamps. You can also test the blow off pressure for the cap. Is it good or is it bad? 10 seconds with the tester and you'll know. You can also use the tester to see if there are combustion leaks into the cooling system by monitoring the pressure as the motor runs.

Oh yes, carry a spare cap. They are inexpensive and tend to fail regularly.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes