• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

contender for the "wishful thinking" prize

jerry

Hmmm. I'm perplexed with what to do with posts like this. Yes, perhaps the money is on the high side. However, one day in the very distant future I imagine I'll sell my car (as will most of us, I presume.) I sure hope that when I go to sell mine my on-line friends don't immediately post how insane they think I am for what I decide to charge. As long as we enthusiasts belive that these little cars are worth crap, that's what the market will continue to pay for them.

Hmmm. I'm perplexed with what to do with posts like this. Yes, perhaps the money is on the high side. However, one day in the very distant future I imagine I'll sell my car (as will most of us, I presume.) I sure hope that when I go to sell mine my on-line friends don't immediately post how insane they think I am for what I decide to charge. As long as we enthusiasts belive that these little cars are worth crap, that's what the market will continue to pay for them.

While I understand what you're saying, the difference in what this guy is looking to get for his car, and what the reasonable value of it is are hundreds of miles apart. It doesn't even seem like he's close. This is quite obviously one of the more foolish people I've seen ever try to sell a car on ebay. Who asks that much for a 2002 and only posts 7 pictures. Of those 7 pictures he shows NONE of the usual rust villains under the hood or in the trunk. He claims these common basket weaves are "Custom Wheels". The picture of the passenger side has a post obscuring part of the passenger door (is he hiding something there?). He shows little of the two front seats other than he has some kind of mat sitting on top of them. Does ANYONE really believe this car has only 28k miles on it? If it does and it was sitting in some barn somewhere, why the hell did it need a ground up restoration? Also, any classic car worth more than 17k is most certainly worth more than a mere 42 words describing the work that has been done on it.

Lastly, the product is only worth what the market will pay for it. Do I believe this car is worth only 4 or 5 grand, probably not, it's probably worth more than that if what he's written about the restoration is true, but it most certainly is not worth the more than 17.5k he's listed it for. He may get lucky enough to part that one fool and his money, but I most certainly hope it's not anyone on these forums.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

Me too, it used to bother me a lot more before - when every time something went out for sale the peanut gallery nid picked it to death. I tolerate it now. I can somehow understand the need to evaluate the car's merits and description for accuracy and how it relates to the asking (or wishing) price. I would think that if one is really interested, one would ask questions, ask for clarifications, test drive, make a bid and start the negotiation process. Maybe I am naive, but I understand most people just want as much money as they can get for their cars, hence the price becomes higher to leave room for negotiation. Sometimes, they even price it 2X higher, because they are fishing, who knows, there might be someone that is just looking for that specific year, color and model, because it was the car they had in college, etc. That person is going to buy that car regardless...

I think it is good to look at these offerings objectively (an oxymorum if there ever was one) and for the group to point out flaws and major defects. To criticize or ridicule the owner for just asking is just wrong.

To try to sell a car just takes a lot of effort and time. It is a frustating process, and some people have the disposition to put up with tire kickers and low ballers. They even respond to public humiliation well. I hope I wll never "have" to sell either of my 02's! My plan is to "give them away" - so be nice to me...

FAQ Member # 91

You always have to consider something else like this in such sales:

"But honey, I've been trying to sell it. I've put it on ebay, and nobody in the world wants to buy it. Sorry, I guess we're gonna have to keep it."

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Wow- I have driven by this car the past two days and wondered who owned it. I live about a mile away from where it is. It is bizarre reading about it. I was thinking about stoping and checking it out as it was parked on the street.

It looks nice from afar, but I would be in agreement this might be an optimistic price.

Cory

76-02 cd's old car