• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

de-smogging ?

jerry

okay, i did a search and checked the FAQ construction site. didn't find complete story for my needs.

just want verification.

Question: When removing ALL the smog related items from the engine bay i must make the following two connections: T/F?

1) wire from the (+) Coil to the Solenoid Cutoff Switch (Weber 32/36)

2) wire from No.12 Fuse to (-) Coil

and of course, plug up all the ports on the intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

this car (76, btw) has a RED Bosch Coil so no external resistor needed (correct?) and there's no starter relay like my 71 has, either.

it appears that most of the monkeying on the wire harness from the PO was done to the emission harness as the remaining harness looks to be fairly intact.

thanks in advance

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

It's been a while since I did mine, but I do believe those two items are both correct. I plugged my manifold with a quarter and a steel plumbing endcap (don't recall which size...sorry). I put some jbweld on the pieces when I did it, and haven't had any sign of leaks or loosening. Good luck!

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

There is a nice premade aluminum plate for sale in the 2002faq store for blocking off the intake manifold hole. This gives the manifold a nice clean look. See this link...

(http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,30/category_id,15/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,59/)

I ended up replacing my stock exhaust manifold (with outlet port for emissions) with a clean tii manifold without port. Again, gives a cleaner look.

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

Is De-smogging a '74 Tii (from CA) different than a Carb'd 2002? If I don't need the smog equipment anymore ('75 and earlier = No smog) might as well clean up the engine bay. Is there a different diagram? Is it in the manual?

Gretchen - 1974 Chamonix 2002 Tii: 5spd, Bilsteins, H&R Springs & IE Poly Suspension Bushings, Pierre Front Air Dam, Hella Driving Lights, Blaupunkt Stereo, MB Quart Speakers, Parker Gauge Cluster.

With regard to your point number 2.), I never had to add such a connection to the fuse box when I de-smogged my '74. I would research that bit of informatin prior to installing.

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

• 9 years later...

I am putting In a 123 ignition, hence no retard on the dizzy. I will also be putting in a carter rotary vane fuel pump with Holley pressure regulator. But that will be in a couple of weeks.

what does that valve do? Does anyone know?

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

27 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

I am putting In a 123 ignition, hence no retard on the dizzy. I will also be putting in a carter rotary vane fuel pump with Holley pressure regulator. But that will be in a couple of weeks.

what does that valve do? Does anyone know?

Under vacuum, it supplies gas to the carb, when the motor is off, it routes it through the return line back to the tank.  You can leave it as is or remove it and plug the return line under the battery or back at the gas tank.

Mark92131

76_2002p.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)