• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Supension and Steering Rehab ... Plan / Where to stop

kubes

I started (no, not finished yet!) a motor swap this weekend on my stock 76 daily driver. I removed the engine from the bottom as I also wanted to do the bushings and needed to replace the steering box. I already have replaced the struts and strut bearings

So the questions are around doing all the steering and suspension parts while I have the subframe removed. I just do not know where to stop, want can be done if needed easily later. I am trying to keep the cost reasonable, but do not want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

1) The steering linkage does not seem to have any play in it, Do the center link and tie rod end wear or just fail? Idler Bushings? Will it make any difference in the feel of the car?

2) The same questions for the balls joints? Again they feel ok. They are still riveted on.

3) On the control arm bushings, what is the easies means to remove them? Just buy new arms with bushings?

4) Should bushing bolts and sleeves be lubed when reassembled? What with?

if your ball joints are still riveted. replace them, it's time.

also on the list of to do while you have easy access is the idler arm bushings (might as well, i feel).

your center link and end links can be replaced at your discretion, later.

as for control arm bushings i found the following technique useful

click here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,283064/highlight,/

also check out the nice writeup with photos on the FAQ Construction directory by bill williams.

replacing the control arm bushings is a much less expensive alternative to buying two new arms with bushings. how much is your time worth?

the only area i lubed were the two giant bolts that hold the control arms to the subassembly.

don't forget to inspect your motor mount (by the steering box) for cracks.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

hi man

i actually just finished doing my entire front suspension a little over a month ago.

I had to drop the subframe because i had a cracked engine bracket and it needed to be rewelded. I already had urethane bushings so i figured might as well put them in while i had the oppurtunity. Then we noticed the upper strut bearings were gone, that the tie rods were original, and the balljoints were approaching shot, that the idler arm bushings could probably do with being replaced, and since the steering was disconected we should replace the guibo joing, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd we figured that since we were doing all this and had gone this far, we might as well throw in some bilstein hds and ireland fixed camber plates. Everything just kind of steam rolls because the oppurtunity presents itself and the thought of spending the extra time to do it all again really isn't savory.

It's almost certainly the best thing you can do. Everything is going to be old and most likely original. You really don't want to have had put all this effort into dropping the motor and subframe to replace a few parts only to find later on that something else, like a balljoint needs to be replaced. Since you're down there, replace whatever you can man and save yourself the trouble of having to do it all again later. Yeah it's going to get a bit pricy, but you'll save yourself time and trouble later down the road. The difference is going to be so great and the feeling of a redone suspension really does bring a smile to your face. Trust me.

After two months of not being able to drive my 02 because of a cracked head/broken enginge bracket/ and all the various headwork and suspension work, i don't regret one bit spending the loads of extra time and money doing the stuff that needs to be done. The feeling of two months worth of built up anxiousness and anticipation, when met with a properly done job, is just damn satisfying.

hope i helped some.

sincerely,

daniel.

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki