• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes on a car that's sat for 12 years - where to start?

Hi All,

So my project car has been sitting for (at least) 12 years. I've been spending most of my time working on getting it running and I'm almost there.

I'm now turning my attention to the brakes. As I push it in and out of the garage, I can hear one of the front brakes dragging. Brakes are the system that I know the least about on the car. I've got a Haynes manual, but I'm not sure where to start on the system.

When I replaced the clutch master cylinder, there was a fair amount of black goop in the tube that runs from the clutch MS to the resivour. I'm worried that the hard lines will have the same crap in them. Can I replace those lines with the engine still in place?

Anyway, I would really appreciate any tips about how to approach getting the brake system up to snuff.

I know that this is a broad question, but I'll answer any question that I can.

Thanks everybody!

• 2 weeks later...

at a minimum, i would flush the system with new brake fluid. but chances are you're going to have a caliper piston(s) siezed. you might want to go ahead and plan to rebuild or replace front calipers and rear cylinders, replace pads and shoes, and turn or replace rotors and drums.

'71 2002