• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laguna Seca Postscript

Delia

Having semi-recovered from "a little too much excess sun" over the past weekend, I'm now able to gather my thoughts about attending my first Laguna Seca Historic Races.

First, many, many thanks to Michael Dubois for his hospitality on Friday. And to Max and Bill the guests of honor who learned that "Quien Sabe" means "Brown Stain." I liked the "all-roundie" tour, but that just's because I'm such a snob.

I also have to thank Jay Kehoe and his Inka A4 tii for caravaning all over the Monterey Peninsula and for following me when I was completely and utterly lost...after all we did drive by Clint Eastwood's house near Carmel.

:)

This "Inka Parade" got a lot of nods, thumbs up and waves as we entered and exited the Raceway grounds and maybe even a few ghostly salutes when we soldiered past the abandoned barracks at Fort Ord in the early morning mist.

The sun had barely risen above the mountains and the rabbits scurried off into the brush as if we were miles from nowhere. We crested the last hill, the valley opened up, and my heart skipped a beat. There, spread before us was the halllowed ground of racing legend and lore, Laguna Seca.

As we pulled up to have our credentials inspected by a veteran "car guy," I asked, "Can you help us? I think we took a wrong turn back there in 1973." He just smiled.

Got to the corral, found some much-needed coffee, cleaned up Jay's car a bit, said hello to Michael Dubois, and again to Bill and Max, then it's off to walk the grounds and see 'what's happenin''.

Now, here's a place to hurt yourself looking at cars -- especially if you are an enthusiast over the age of forty. And if you are not easily impressed, you've never been here. I was stunned by the sight of not one or two, but about thirty Toyota 2000GTs, including an extremely rare roadster (one of two built, and the only known example in existence) just like the one in "You Only Live Twice" with Sean Connery as 007. Total production you ask? About 350 (337). Statistically, it's like having 150 2002 turbos together in the same spot.

But wait, there's more!

The paddock is filled with rare and famous cars from all over the globe. Bugattis, Porsches, CanAm Mclarens and Lolas. Cars from Brumos, Vasek Polak, UOP and Interscope. Race names like Gurney, Parnelli Jones, Foyt, Derek Bell, Greenwood, Redman.

Stopped by Bill Watson's one man show preparing the BMWNA 3.5 CSL for BMW San Francisco owner Henry Schmidt. Said hello, then let him do his thing. The car is awesome, rare and well...awesome! Can I say any more?

Went to the BMW dinner with Jay and got an earful of what's new from Steve Dinan's shop in Mountain View. I gotta say this guy's business model is almost as exciting as the work he puts out! Where else can you play with cars all day, make a good living at it and not get all dirty and greasy?

Sunday morning was a carbon copy of Saturday, but much more relaxed. Got to the track early and parked "Orange Julius" right next to the tent while Jay got an inside space away from the oppressive sun.

Watched more racing today than the day before. I ventured up the hill to view the Can Am racers glide through the famous 'corkscrew.' It was quite surreal, watching from a vantage point often seen through my eyes in photographs dating back to the 70s...here I was, in the same place, seeing the same cars -- live and in person -- a mere forty years removed. Scotty has indeed beamed me up!

The 'piece de resistance' on this day was the final race. The CSL was to do battle with not only the DeKon Monzas, Porsches 935s and Corvettes, but it's archrival in the '74 ETCC, Ford Capri.

The CSL's respectable 8th overall by Henry Schmidt and Bill Watson's flawless preparation was the highlight of my weekend, and another fantasy to cross off on "my things to do before I die list."

Cheers!

Delia

Picture of "Orange Julius" is from Michael Dubois' album.

post-169-13667581158464_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Very nice write-up, Delia. I will have to make it a priority to join the "Inka Parade" next year. We will have to make it an '02 invasion...

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Nice write up Delia, somehow you captured it well.

I resisted for many years to attend this event, because I hate crowds... (my saying was: nothing can be that good) Yes, a lot of people attend, but there is also a lot of space. No matter where I went I had front row. Maybe I have been deprived or sheltered, but I consider this event one of the top one in my list, and it takes place in my own backyard!

FAQ Member # 91

Tempts me to bring my pale orange car out there next year.

Bring the Wife and the Touring, come early and hang out in Santa Barbara for a while. We can hit Newport Beach visit Paul Cain and the other SoCal people and do "Cars and Coffee". Of course we could do that any weekend.

Glad you had a good visit to the "Left Coast".

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

The BMW Vintage club is doing a deal the week before, during and after the Monterey Historics in 2008.

That sounds like much fun. Setting funds aside for it now.

Sorry we missed each other, you live in a great place with nice and many cars. I forgot what CA traffic is like.

I use to visit CA regularly and I would join the commuters to ride from the LA area down to Laguana Beach to eat at the the LeBreezes. My favorite place to eat in that part of SOCAL. One of my most favorite eating spot down that way in Malibu Seafood. Ate there with Martin Charles and others during Oktoberfest back in 2004 (think it was 2004)

Take care Steve!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5