• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get a factory Tii key for cheap?

Audi_O_Phile

Hello there, when I purchased my '73 Tii, it came with only one key, quite worn, and I am worried what hassle I would have to go through were it to get lost or broken. I contacted a local dealership, and they quoted me $55 to get a factory cut key made. Have ya'll found a less expensive way to get a good master made? I intend to take it promptly to a good locksmith to have two copies made of it, and then keep the master in a safe place and just use one of the two copies.

I went to a locksmith who had the blank and made the key for something like $5 about 8 years ago. I recall that there may be a VW key blank that will work, too.

2002AD's website lists a key blank for about $13, so they're probably available from the dealer as blanks. Your nearby hardware store can grind it for you.

-Jerry

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

... as long as your nearby hardware store is equipped to grind steel keys. Most are set up for that soft brass stuff these days.

I got my blanks from Maximilian years ago.

Cheers,

Ray

I went to a locksmith who had the blank and made the key for something like $5 about 8 years ago. I recall that there may be a VW key blank that will work, too.

2002AD's website lists a key blank for about $13, so they're probably available from the dealer as blanks. Your nearby hardware store can grind it for you.

-Jerry

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I just had two sets made for two of my '02s at ACME! They used to be in SW Atlanta but they have moved to Atlanta Road in Smyrna, GA just NE of Atlanta. They have the blanks for the ignition and the trunk. About a year ago, they even made a copy of my gas cap key. They were about $4.00 each.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

they have moved to Atlanta Road in Smyrna, GA just NE of Atlanta. .

hey, isn't smyrna NW of atlanta....? i used to work in Vinings, on Overlook hill, No.7 IIRC. restored my 1st 02 out there.

sorry, WOT

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Check out Keys4Classics.com. They cut keys to the key code (which you can usually find under the dash on a sticker attached to the ignition switch body). Their keys do NOT have the BMW logo on them, if that is important to you.

Cut keys are around twelve bucks each and blanks are around four bucks, plus another four bucks per order to ship.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002